To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
529 14th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20045
- Aileen Hedden
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) • Washington, DC
Posted 12 days ago
We are looking for a creative, media-savvy, highly-skilled storyteller to promote our robust research and policy work. Reporting to the senior director of marketing and communications, you will craft creative communications pieces on different topics and in various formats. Creating and maintaining relationships with the media, you will arrange for press releases, blog posts, and other promotions. Your success will be driven by your ability to work with internal staff to translate highly complex material into content with broad appeal that has maximum impact.
A national nonprofit research organization based in Washington, D.C., the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) believes that the United States can harness the full potential of energy efficiency to boost economic prosperity, improve health, and protect the environment for all its people. Since 1980, ACEEE has become known as America’s leading center of expertise on energy efficiency. Our reputation is based on the high quality, credibility, and relevance of our work, as well as our bipartisan approach. Our thorough and peer-reviewed technical work is a catalyst to advance policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors. We actively participate in debates on energy policy, clean air, and climate change, and are nationally recognized for leadership in reenergizing energy efficiency policies for building, appliance, and equipment efficiency; agriculture and rural communities; and cars and trucks. Our work is widely relied on by policymakers, business and industry decision-makers, consumers, media, and other energy professionals.
Responsibilities of the Communications Manager
You will focus on strategizing and implementing new ways to package and disseminate our research findings. This will include:
- working with researchers to develop and edit blog posts, fact sheets, press releases, and other materials; crafting and implementing plans to release research reports and projects;
- reaching out to media to promote ACEEE’s work, responding to press inquiries, and preparing internal staff for effective media interviews;
- networking with partner organizations to expand our reach;
- overseeing social media and related marketing tools; hosting webinars;
- developing new ways to disseminate information to reach a broader audience (e.g., YouTube videos, infographics, podcasts, newsletters); and
- leading and coordinating a network of two dozen organizations involved in energy efficiency.
Qualifications of the Communications Manager
- 5 or more years of experience in communications roles. Superb writing, editing, and speaking skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, humanities, journalism, marketing, social sciences, or similar.
- Familiarity with public relations and the media, including existing press relationships.
- Experience working with technical experts, policymakers, and the general public.
- Ability to make complex material compelling and accessible.
- Experience in marketing and social media that includes various platforms and tools (including Facebook and Google Ads). Experience with Pardot and Cision is preferred.
- Knowledge of energy issues and/or demonstrated passion for clean energy, sustainability, or environmental issues is preferred.
- Ability to strategize as well as execute communications plans. Able to see the big picture but also follow through on details.
Attributes of the Communications Manager
- Creative. You have the ability to think strategically and develop thoughtful messaging. You are naturally inquisitive.
- Strong communicator. You are clear and succinct in your communications, easily adjusting to different settings and styles.
- Confident. You are self-assured and direct, not easily discouraged. You are capable of taking part in spirited conversations with leadership, peers, and external stakeholders.
- Collaborative. You have a collaborative and inclusive work style with people at all levels, respectfully listening and learning to understand their goals. You are sensible, realistic, and matter-of-fact.
- Gravitas. Colleagues respect you for your expertise and appreciate how you evaluate issues from both an individual and organizational perspective.
- Self-starter. You are highly motivated and organized. You work well independently. You easily juggle multiple detail-oriented projects and always meet deadlines.
- Mission-driven. You understand the big picture and can easily translate our objectives into social impact.
What’s Attractive to the Right Communications Manager Candidate?
- Your work will influence policy. Your work will have a direct impact on the social and environmental issues facing this country, reducing waste and improving health for all.
- We are a mission-driven, collaborative, entrepreneurial organization that offers workplace flexibility and professional development. You will find your colleagues to be friendly and pleasant, and the work to be intellectually stimulating.
- You will report to a skilled communications professional who is open to new ideas. You will have the opportunity to think creatively about communicating our work.
- ACEEE offers competitive compensation, based on qualifications and experience, with opportunities for career development. Benefits include ACEEE’s generous package of health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage; a 403(b) retirement plan; transportation and bike share benefits; three weeks of vacation in the first year and four weeks thereafter.
To Apply for the Communications Manager position with ACEEE: