The Multi-line Underwriter is responsible for the evaluation, selection, acceptance, rejection, pricing and servicing of commercial insurance new business opportunities and renewal policies consistent with accepted company procedures and guidelines. This position will be located out of our Chicago, IL office and will require heavy experience in Workers' Compensation. Maintains effective relationships with agency contacts to ensure accurate information is gathered for risk evaluation and provides consultation on company product and coverage capabilities that positively impacts risk selection. Enables profitable growth with assigned agencies including periodic profitability reviews and the implementation of profit improvement actions.
- Partner with Regional Sales Team members to drive profitable growth from assigned agencies including collaborating to identify new sources of production and promoting the AmTrust value message.
- Determine the types of business / class fit with company appetite eligibility for commercial lines of business products (i.e. Workers Compensation, BOP, Property and General Liability Package, etc.) and exposure size parameters.
- Promote Account Rounding (additional policies per account) on new business opportunities and renewal policies for Preferred / Target types of businesses with agency contacts.
- Analyze commercial lines account opportunities to make selection decisions based on type of business / class, individual risk characteristics, exposure to loss analysis, and hazard controls.
- Use knowledge and independent judgement to conduct risk acceptance or rejection evaluation using data provided from loss control inspections, loss experience reports (i.e. claim activity both frequency and severity), third party data providers, and other facts provided by agency contacts.
- Develop and negotiate premium pricing levels on coverages for new business opportunities and renewal policies commensurate with the individual risk evaluation based on company procedures and guidelines.
- Build productive and positive relationships with assigned agency contacts.
- For account situations beyond the underwriter’s authority, collaborate with Regional Underwriting leaders to reach appropriate risk selection and pricing decisions.
- Manage a book of business to achieve profitability objectives utilizing data gathered from internal financial reporting tools and insights gained from claims team, loss control team, and agency contacts.
- Work closely with, and provide direction to, Underwriting Assistants across all aspects of the underwriting process.
- Assist Regional Underwriting leaders with resolving escalated issues raised by agency contacts.
- Travel 10%- 15% of the time
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience
- At least 3 years of experience in a Commercial Lines multi-line underwriting role
- Experience with production underwriting is required
- Experience in Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, and Kentucky is preferred
- Knowledge of workers' compensation underwriting procedures and discipline
- Knowledge of commercial lines products, coverages and pricing practices
- Experience successfully building a profitable portfolio of commercial risks
- Strong analytical, problem solving, organization, and communication (both written and verbal) skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate well with others and provide clear direction on underwriting process actions for support staff
What We Offer
AmTrust Financial Services offers a competitive compensation package and excellent career advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, including eligible spouses & children, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Paid Time Off.