To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- San Francisco, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director of Operations (PP &WP)
Gate Gourmet • San Francisco, CA
Posted 6 days ago
This role is predominantly concentrated around 4 focal areas. 1) Making sure all Make and Pack processes are structured and optimized in accordance with corporate standards (Gate OPEX) and Local opportunities (General LEAN, CI thinking); 2) Making sure Productivity and Efficiency is optimized by ensuring optimal Rosters/Schedules and proactive short/medium term Labour Planning on the basis of proposals received (by the OPC/Local Supply Chain Process) and daily use of the OPRS tool.3) Making sure that all make and pack processes comply with HACCP, Customer Specs/requirements and other relevant safety and security regulations and policies. 4) Making sure the Make and Pack leadership team is continuously developed via proactive coaching, involvement, feedback and a strong performance management approach.
As a key member of the Unit Senior Leadership team, this role is also expected to actively engage in the overall development and improvement of the entire Unit - Especially in respect to production/labour planning and People Management.
Given the responsibilities and general nature of this role the individual will have multiple cross functional touch points – Make and Pack interlinks with all other processes and hence good coordination and collaborations is essential. Especially the individual is expected to work closely together with the Director, Wash & Pack, Pick and Pack + Supply Chain Process Director and HR.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads and coordinates the Make & Pack operating area.
- Structure and process optimization (Work stations, floor map, work processes)
- Proactive and fact-based Labour planning (Short, Medium and longer term) in close cooperation with the Supply Chain Process:
- For hiring needs (Longer term)
- For Optimal Rosters/Schedules (Medium term)
- For short term labour planning to adjust hours needed (Daily/Weekly)
- QA compliance
- Customer Specs and requirements
- Drives engagement by providing and keeping a strong focus in development of the Make and Pack leadership team, especially in respect to:
- Consistent and persistent Performance Management
- Drives Cross training of staff to increase flexibility within the Make and Pack process; establishes and maintains skills matrix for optimization of rosters and ongoing labour planning.
- Coordinates with other operational areas of the unit to ensure optimal service for both internal and external customers.
- Ensures all activities and output are in compliance with customer specs (Volume and Quality)
- Promotes, develops and supports continuous improvement and operational excellence initiatives (like for ex. GateOpex, Central and Local CI programs etc.).
- Aligns, implements and continues to facilitate improvements to the agreed US/Group standard process’ ( Forecasting, Planning, IDS interfaces etc.). Including best practice sharing with Mack and Pack Process peers and the Supply Chain Function/OP&C.
- Aligns material and labour targets together with the Supply Chain Process – I.e. serves as a strong sparring partner in respect to the forecasting and planning process (including the alignment of the MPS of the Unit).
- Responsible for setting up (including delegation and communication) KPIs within the area and be a strong facilitator/driver of the use of OPRS/active Labour Planning within all the Mack and Pack processes.
- Accounts for departmental financial indicators (Hours, waste, Spec compliance).
- Manages productivity and efficiency – I.e. responsible for labour adjustments to increase productivity (on the basis of proposals and departmental insights) and meet/beat targets.
- Captures, tracks, analyses and ensures correction of incidences (I.F.B.L. throughout own Department).
- Optimizes resources in the Department through process improvement, lean and continuous improvement principles - Drives and performs continuous improvement in the area and in collaboration with other departments, both operational and support functions, especially with the Forecasting/Planning and IDS departments.
- Participates in customer and authority audits
- Ensures compliance of procedures for Hygiene and Food Safety
- Actively recognizes good performance in the team and promote the company reward and recognition scheme – People First behavior and actions.
- Continuously improves quality and efficiency of the team.
- Resolves conflicts and provides solutions by exercising high levels of influencing, negotiation and communication skills. Be proactive and address issues when they appear.
- Serves as an operational and management source of expertise, and contributes to the success of the unit/senior management team as a whole – By supporting associated and unit wide initiatives.
- Organizes and leads operational meetings (Leadership team meetings and Mack and Pack staff meetings)
- Supervises and supports lower level managers/supervisors on daily operations including:
- Conducts performance evaluations for employees providing specific and detailed feedback on their management and leadership skills and the attainment of their respective goals and objectives
- Ensures compliance with company Wage & Hour policy, including ensuring employees get the rest & meal breaks and ensuring company processes are followed.
- Trains and monitors employees on proper work procedures to ensure maximum productivity with minimum labor and food expenses.
- Monitors daily manpower planning and schedules employees.
- Responsible for employee retention and reducing employee turnover.
- Responsible for coaching, counseling and preparing corrective actions for employees in compliance with the applicable union/collective bargaining agreement(s).
- Reviews and ensures employees in chain of command are in correct cost centers and correct job titles.
- Reviews and ensures union represented employees’ pay rates are correct based on wage scales and seniority.
- Compliance with all company required policies, procedures and processes including but not limited to required training
- Bachelors’ degree in a relevant subject or business management is preferable
- Desirable specialization in Operational and People Management
- At least 5 years’ experience working within Operations in a “manufacturing environment”
- Experience providing leadership through a middle management layer
- Experience of managing a team of more than 100 people
- Experience in change management projects
- Experience of process improvement is a plus.
- Experience of working in a Food Hygiene/Health & Safety/High Security environment preferred.
- Previous knowledge of Airline Catering operations is preferred, but not essential.
Technical Skills: (Certification, Licenses and Registration)
- IT literate, basic level of MS Office and general SAP understanding.
- Strong People Manager
- Empathetic and Open minded – hence determined and persistent
- Resilient and well-rounded individual
- Team player who believes in structured Performance and Talent Management
- Planning and coordination – Ability to oversee multiple activities at the same time
- Continuous improvement mindset – Flexible and embracing change
- Self-motivated & Proactive
Language / Communication Skills:
- Excellent communicator – Whether “one to one” or “on the beer case”
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Geographic Responsibility: SFO Hub Unit
Type of Employment: Full-time
Travel %: Limited but some to be expected
Exemption Classification: United States only: Exempt
Internal Relationships: Process Director Peers, HR, Commercial, Finance
External Relationships: To some extent customers and external auditors
Work Environment / Requirements of the Job:
- Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move product, equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds.
- A rotating schedule of over 55 hours per week is typical.
- Able to work in deadline driven environment
Budget / Revenue Responsibility: (Local Currency) N/A
Direct Line Manager (Title): GM, Ops, SFO
Dotted Line Manager (Title, if applicable): N/A
Number of Direct Reports: 3-12
Number of Dotted Line Reports: N/A
Estimated Total Size of Team: 200 to 600
gategroup Competencies Required to be Successful in the Job:
- Thinking – Information Search and analysis & problem resolution skills
- Engaging – Understanding others, Team Leadership and Developing People
- Inspiring – Influencing and building relationships, Motivating and Inspiring, Communicating effectively
- Achieving – Delivering business results under pressure, Championing Performance Improvement and Customer Focus
Demonstrated Values to be Successful in the Position
Employees at gategroup are expected to live our Values of Excellence, Integrity, Passion and Accountability. To demonstrate these Values, we expect to observe the following from everyone:
- We treat each other with respect and we act with integrity
- We communicate and keep each other informed
- We put our heads together to problem solve and deliver excellence as a team
- We have passion for our work and we pay attention to the little details
- We foster an environment of accountability, take responsibility for our actions and learn from our mistakes
- We do what we say we will do, when we say we are going to do it
- We care about our coworkers, always taking an opportunity to make someone’s day better
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
gategroup is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status or other category under applicable law.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf