Michael Baker International is a leading provider of engineering, development, intelligence and technology solutions with global reach and mobility. The firm offers a comprehensive range of innovative services and solutions in support of federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of private development and commercial clients. Michael Baker International’s focus is on the safety and security of people across the world through planning and engineering improvements to infrastructure and the environment, and through protection of our quality of life and freedom in support of national and international security. With more than $1 billion in annual revenue, Michael Baker International has more than 5,000 employees in over 80 offices located across the U.S. and internationally, and is ranked as the 26th largest design firm in the U.S. by Engineering News Record (ENR). Michael Baker International’s Mission is to make a difference by providing innovative solutions to sustain the future and further the safety, security and quality of life for people across the globe by providing the highest level of expertise, unmatched quality and effective project teams for a diverse range of projects and clients. Michael Baker International offers excellent benefit packages that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Additional Paid Time Off, Flex-Time, 401-K Retirement Plan, Tuition Reimbursement and Employee Credit Union. To learn more, please visit us on the web at www.mbakerintl.com . Michael Baker International is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer - M/F/Disability/Veteran/e-Verify Employer
WHO WE ARE
Supported by more than 3,000 employees in nearly 100 locations across the United States, we provide a full continuum of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management. Our clients include U.S. federal, state and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker is committed to delivering a standard of excellence that fosters a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve our clients' complex challenges.
RAILROAD & TRANSIT PRACTICE
Whether moving people or freight, solutions applied to address current and future transport needs will be framed by energy prices, the choices made by today’s younger generation to forego auto ownership and live in urban areas, and growing sustainability and environmental concerns. Michael Baker International’s approach to helping rail and transit clients meet these challenges is changing as well, with the focus on developing more viable solutions for planning, designing, constructing, operating, financing and sustaining a modern mobility infrastructure that leverage the ever-evolving world of technology. Michael Baker International’s professionals provide value by first understanding our clients’ needs, then working with them as partners to identify innovative and cost-effective solutions that optimize their opportunities for success. Consistently ranked by Engineering News-Record as a Top 25 rail & transit design firm, Michael Baker International has the expertise to deliver modern infrastructure systems with a budget conscious approach.
The successful candidate will focus on rail transportation projects. This position will require close coordination with the technical staff and various technical professionals dispersed within Michael Baker International’s other offices. The successful candidate will prepare, direct and manage layouts of railroad track alignments for both transit and freight rail for rail and transit and multi-discipline project teams, mentor staff engineers and help to develop the Rail and Transit practice, participate in marketing existing clients and growing new clients, and will have a contributing role in the rail and transit leadership organization.
• Design, direct and/or manage rail-related components of passenger rail, freight rail and commuter rail projects
• Develop and oversee the design of track alignments, including special track work such as turnouts, crossovers and diamond crossings
• Prepare or review geometric details of track alignments including horizontal and vertical curve data
• Prepare or direct detailed engineering plans using the various Bentley software products (Microstation and InRail)
• Play an integral part in the development and review of plans, specifications and cost estimates for Rail Design projects
• Assist on large multi-disciplinary design teams and lead younger staff on a variety of project tasks
• Engineering investigations including feasibility and type studies with cost and risk analysis
• Perform railroad track inspections and other site inspections during construction and maintenance projects to determine if they are within tolerance levels established by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), AREMA, and other applicable regulations
• Coordinate with multiple disciplines for conformance to design criteria, standards and code requirements
• Mentoring and advising staff regarding various FRA, AREMA, Class I Railroad and Passenger/Commuter Railroad requirements and preferences
• Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering is required
• Must have PE license, registered with NCEES a plus
• 10+ years of demonstrated experience on various types of rail projects, to include design and plan development of rail projects is required
• Previously demonstrated project experience with Class I Railroad design and Commuter/Transit Agencies preferred.
• Candidate must have thorough knowledge of and practical experience applying AREMA
• Must possess excellent client management skills and be able to enhance and develop solid client relationships
• Proven experience in working on multiple projects concurrently, managing project deadlines and on-time submittals
• Strong work ethic and ability to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal skills and problem-solving ability
• Ability to assist in developing strategic approaches and concepts
• Availability to occasionally travel to other local offices and job site locations
WHAT WOULD MAKE ME STAND OUT AS A CANDIDATE?
• Play an integral part in preparation of plans, specifications and cost estimates for rail designs.
• Possess high initiative and demonstrate a proactive, collaborative approach to project development with project team members, clients, contractors and review agencies.
• Strong relationships with Class I Railroad(s) and Commuter/Transit Agencies and understanding of coordination requirements and preferences.
• Ability to mentor and advise young staff on rail engineering best practices.
Product Quality Control