The Plant Controller 1 is responsible for providing financial support to a small manufacturing facility to enhance profitability and protect all company assets through the enforcement of controls. This role applies generally accepted accounting principles to plant transactions to properly reflect the financial performance of a plant. Essential Job Duties
- Responsible for the accuracy and controls around the plant physical inventory. Has overall responsibility for the control environment around inventories; however, manpower to take monthly inventories is the responsibility of the supply chain group. Responsible for monitoring the cycle count processes to ensure accuracy and completeness of counts in a timely basis.
- Responsible for monthly cutoffs for receiving and shipping and sets the tone for all internal controls around inventories.
- Responsible for the safe keeping of the fixed assets of the company. Enforces the control environment to ensure assets are tracked properly and takes an annual inventory of fixed assets.
- Responsible for the accuracy of the standard costs starting with the bill of materials and item costs, labor routings, labor rates, as well as overhead assignments.
- Reports variances to set standards in a manner that supervisors and managers can understand and takes corrective action. Accountable for the performance of the plant, explaining all production variances on a monthly basis as well as participating in the proactive measures to reduce variances from standard cost.
- Studies activity drivers within manufacturing and allocates overhead costs in line with those ABC drivers.
- Continuously spends time on the plant floor working with the supervisors to help them understand where they are missing standard costs.
- Participates in Kaizen events to improve productivity and prepares analysis to support new capital equipment with a complete understanding of IRR, payback, and NPV of investments.
- Prepares numerous plant specific accruals as required by GAAP.
- Reconciles all G/L accounts specific to the plant.
- May perform other duties as required.
Scope of Responsibility
Plans, directs, and controls the financial activities of a small plant with less than 500 employees. The Plant Controller 1 reports to the Division Controller with a dotted line relationship with the Plant Manager. This role manages a budget of approximately less than $300K and is accountable for review of operation financial efficiencies that could equate to $35M.
Directly manages 1-5 associates and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Good working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Good understanding of process standard cost accounting.
- Must have a proven record of success as a strategically-oriented financial manager with knowledge of cost accounting, production planning and operations analysis.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to seek resources as needed.
- Collaborative interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Results-oriented focus and approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and Access).
- Ability to drive process improvement.
- Very strong organizational and business process skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently on a variety of assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to accurately determine deadlines.
- Must understand process flows and have an above average understanding of process capabilities within their facilities.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting; a minimum of 7 years of direct experience in the field required. CPA or CMA is preferred.
Minimal travel may be required.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Job ID: 19386
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Snyder’s-Lance, Inc., headquartered in Charlotte, NC, manufactures and markets snack foods throughout the United States and internationally. The Company’s products include pretzels, sandwich crackers, potato chips, cookies, tortilla chips, restaurant style crackers, nuts and other snacks. Snyder’s-Lance has manufacturing facilities in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Indiana, Georgia, Arizona, Massachusetts, Texas, Florida, Ohio, and Ontario, Canada. Products are sold under the Snyder’s of Hanover, Lance, Cape Cod, Krunchers!, Tom’s, Archway, Jays, Stella D’oro, O-Ke-Doke, and Grande brand names along with a number of private label and third party brands. Products are distributed nationally through grocery and mass merchandisers, convenience stores, club stores, food service outlets and other channels. The Company Snyder’s-Lance Inc. was formed by bringing the best of two companies together in Snyder’s of Hanover and Lance Inc. in December 2010.
View the full profile