Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is seeking candidates for a part-time Music Consultant / Music Director. The Basilica is located in downtown Baltimore. The Director of Music for the Basilica will assist the Rector and other clergy in developing a prayerful, singing congregation through celebration, preparation, education, evaluation and personal ministry. With the cooperation and assistance of all the parish ministers the Director of Music Ministry will support the proclamation of the gospel message through song and challenge the community to live it more fully in accord with the guidelines of the Catholic Church.
The Director of Music is directly responsible to the Rector and indirectly responsible to the Pastoral Council and its committees. He/She is also responsible to the Parish Staff in so far as the Music Director is an active participant with them in carrying out Parish policy and goals. Works closely with the Archdiocese, The Director of the Office of Worship, and Archbishop's Priest Secretary to assure meaningful support of Archdiocesan celebrations that take place in the Basilica.
- Responsible for planning and performance of all music associated with worship, religious education and evangelization in the Basilica
- Participates in planning the liturgies with the Worship Committee and with the Rector and bears primary responsibility for the music selections for all regular and special celebrations including all weekend liturgies, Easter Vigil, Holy Week liturgies, Holy Days of Obligation and Christmas liturgies without additional compensation
- Responsible for coordinating and staffing all liturgies with musicians in a way that maximizes the quality of worship while minimizes the cost associated with the music program
- Recruits, schedules and trains members of the Choir and Cantors
- Responsible for maintaining and fostering relationship with the broader Baltimore performance/arts community
- Ensures the Choir has an appropriate number of rehearsals necessary to assure a quality of music that encourages the full, conscious and active participation of the assembly
- Obtains copyright permission for all music as necessary
- Serves as music consultant and facilitator for Archdiocesan events that take place at the Basilica
- Serves as primary point of contact for all music performances at the Basilica that the Rector has granted permission. Ensures each group or individual's affiliations are in keeping with Catholic Church doctrine and that all musical selections are appropriate for the sacred space of the Basilica. Coordinates with the parish office for the calendaring aspects of the role
- Responsible for the managing and coordinating of music for all weddings; this includes communicating with the bridal parties, scheduling the organist/cantors/musicians, setting the music, etc.
- Coordinates music selection and performance for all funerals
- Coordinates with the Basilica organist to screen all individuals seeking to play the Basilica organ
- Attends the Parish staff meetings each month and Worship committee meetings
- Cooperates with the Parish accountant and develops the Music Ministry budget
- Follows the work schedule: 19 hours weekly, Thursday - Rehearse choir on this evening or another evening as agreed; Saturday - 5:30 pm Mass, Sunday - 8 am, 10:45 am and 4:30 pm Masses
- Bachelor's degree
- Previous experience working as a Music Director
- Practicing Catholic preferred
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: 1471/1191
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.