You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Hospice Team Physician, Hospice, Manhattan
Oversees the medical care and treatment of Hospice patients and provides direction and guidance to the staff and volunteers to assure quality care. Consults and cooperates with the patients' attending physicians. Works under general direction.
Responsibilities• Participates in the evaluation and recertification of the terminal prognosis of patients at indicated intervals.
• Collaborates with interdisciplinary team (IDT) in the development, implementation, and ongoing revision of the physician plan of care (PPOC).
• Completes documentation of all patient care services provided.
• Intervenes when there is a possible revocation; reviews all revocations with the other members of the IDT.
• Provides medical expertise to admission and patient care staff on issues and challenges involving evaluation of terminal prognosis and pain and symptom management. Reviews patients’ medication regimens for adverse reactions, inappropriate usage, and inappropriate duration.
• Collaborates with attending, referring, and/or inpatient physicians regarding issues and challenges involving determination of terminal prognosis and pain and symptom management, as well as transfer of patient from home care to inpatient care.
• Provides home visits based on the agreed upon plan of care and as directed by the Hospice Team Manager (HTM) based on patient and family needs.
• Provides for the general medical needs of the patients to the extent that these needs are not met by the attending physician, including but not limited to, E prescribing when attending physician chooses not to or not licensed to do so, signing death certificate and/or accepting full responsibility for the care of the patient if the attending physician does not desire to provide care to the patient.
• Provides family members with information about the medical management and prognosis of the patient, within HIPPA guidelines.
• Provides medical care within Hospice regulations and VNS Health guidelines, policies, and procedures.
• For Hospice Oncology only:
• Reviews and determines hospice eligibility for patients referred to Hospice with an oncological primary terminal diagnosis.
• Facilitates up-front communication with the referral sources to ensure seamless hand-off and recommends consultation with the Hospice Oncology Consult Team, when consult qualifiers are met.
• Provides medical expertise on issues and challenges involving evaluation of terminal prognosis and pre-admission symptom management needs for hospice patients with an oncological diagnosis.
• Works closely with internal staff and external referral sources to identify areas of opportunity to increase hospice utilization for patients with an oncological primary terminal diagnosis through education and innovation.
• Provides physician leadership to other VNS Health’s subsidiaries to facilitate seamless transition to hospice for patients who are under the care of other VNS Health divisions/ programs and meet hospice eligibility criteria.
• Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
QualificationsLicenses and Certifications:Licensed and currently registered to practice medicine or osteopathy in New York State Required
DEA license Required
Board eligible/certified in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, or other related specialty with a working knowledge of the principles of palliative medicine and symptom management Required
Valid driver's license may be required, as determined by operational/regional needs. CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) Certification Preferred
Education: Medical Degree Required
Work Experience:Minimum of two years of experience in a medical practice, preferably in a hospice or palliative care setting OR one year of fellowship training in Hospice and Palliative Care OR Hospice and Palliative Care Board eligible/certified Required
Bilingual skills may be required, as determined by operational needs Required
- Electronic Medical Record
- Diseases And Disorders
- Long Term Care
- Medical Assistance
- Health Care
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: 2323733699
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.