You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Occupational Health Nurse Practitioner
This position will support the NIH Occupational Medical Service located in the Bethesda, MD on NIH’s main campus and support Integrated Research Facility in Frederick, Maryland.
The Nurse Practitioner will provide confidential medical services to employees for a variety of work-related medical and counseling services. OMS work under the Department of Health and Safety within NIH and collaborates with safety professionals and NIH researchers.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Clinical Responsibilities (70%)
- Independently performs initial evaluation and triaging of medical emergencies;
- Assists in the clinical care provided for medical emergencies including wound care, medication administration, phlebotomy, EKG’s and BGM;
- Assist in implementing health promotion activities within the NIH community;
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team to perform initial assessment, treatment, and counseling of occupational injuries, illness, and mental health crises. When necessary, make appropriate referrals to internal and external providers related to injury or illness;
- Provide proper documentation and education to employees about worker's compensation and work restrictions following an accident or illness;
- Independently conducts pre-placement medical evaluations to include vital signs, hearing/vision testing, and EKG’s;
- Enroll and educate employees in appropriate medical surveillance programs (animal exposure program, tuberculosis, and biological surety program);
- Strong working knowledge of how to provide patient education and treatment to employees who may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens;
- Provide work-related immunizations, including international travel immunizations and counseling to NIH employees;
- Complies with universal precautions, infection control, and waste management guidelines;
- Manage triage telephone calls and walk-in patients in a professional and with quick assessment skills.
- On-call status on a weekly basis as scheduled for emergency care.
Administrative Responsibilities (30% )
- Review and revise all sections of the OMS procedure manual annually;
- Order pharmaceutical supplies as needed;
- Maintain clinical supplies and equipment;
- Participate in quality improvement activities;
- Ensure participants in the Biological Surety Program are enrolled and provided appropriate patient care according to procedure, including scheduling appointments and tracking progress through the enrollment and recertification procedures.
- Participate in nurse training and planning with OMS Bethesda nurses via teleconference.
- Engage in occupational health and safety committee’s;
- File all medical records and ensure Bethesda Physician has signed off on all reportable occupational injuries/illness.
- Manage clinic according to OMS Procedures independently in the Frederick and Baltimore location.
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: 9096_4250892854
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.