You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Director, Forward Planning
New Home Co. is a new generation homebuilder focused on the design, construction, and sale of innovative and consumer-driven homes in major metropolitan areas in California, Arizona, and Colorado. NEW HOME was named 2019 Builder of the Year by Professional Builder and is a multi-year recipient of "The Eliant" for Best Overall Customer Experience in the multi-divisional builder segment. In addition, New Home Co. has also achieved the honor of a 2021 Top Workplace for Orange County, California.
At The New Home Company, we believe that PEOPLE matter. The strength of our homes is built upon a foundation of focused, energized, visionary and dedicated team members. Our goal is to provide a workplace that supports you in doing the best work of your life.
Check out New Home Co.'s 2022 Corporate Sustainability Report ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Director, Forward Planning for more information.
Position Title: Director, Forward Planning
Ensure the overall success of the land development processes by overseeing all site development design, entitlement, and implementation and design and entitlement budgets, from project inception through ultimate project close-out. Serve as project leader to ensure the goals and objectives of the project are translated into the design documents, schedules, and budgets. Ensure that all information impacting the design and construction of the project is communicated to all team members.
- Assist in land investigation activities at the direction of the Group President including:
- Entitlement and processing issues
- Design and engineering issues
- Preparation of budgets and schedules
- Preparation of ELC packages
- Resolve issues in purchase documents
Design and Permitting:
- Serve as the overall organizer and manager of the construction activities to effectively move the project from land acquisition to start of construction to meet business plan goals.
- Assist with developing entitlement strategies, submissions and presentations as necessary.
- Obtain entitlement and permit approvals for projects.
- Lead and coordinate the design review process as required on a project specific basis to obtain necessary approvals.
- Ensure that timely, efficient engineering is completed.
- Monitor the scope, schedule and budget of all development activities and report any deviation from the approved business plan.
- Coordinate the design of community landscaping, amenities and entrances.
- Prepare and process all site improvement plans, sales office and model plans/permits, landscape and architectural plans.
- Work with other disciplines within the division to establish detailed project schedules that include milestones on a discipline by discipline basis.
- Prepare project schedules and ensure schedule compliance.
Pre-Construction Process: Team Management and Leadership (if applicable):
- Be prepared to discuss the development budget and explain any deviations from the accepted budgets.
- Address any problems or conflicts which arise during the development process and create feasible alternatives.
Team Management and Leadership (if applicable):
- Identify training needs and suggest options to address issues of interest and relevancy to direct reports and the Group as a whole.
- Conduct semi-annual Growth Reviews on direct report(s) and develop internal or external training opportunities to enhance performance and meet personal and professional goals.
- Handle any performance problems in accordance with the established Performance Improvement Plan process.
- Effectively delegate problem solving and decision making authority to the appropriate department team members and follow-up to ensure satisfactory outcomes are achieved.
- Strive to achieve a high level of job satisfaction for all team members and create a motivational environment for each employee.
- Provide leadership to team members by modeling the company values, vision and operating principles.
- As necessary, handle terminations in accordance with the established procedure.
- Coordinate the preparation of sales disclosure statements and lot disclosure exhibits.
- Coordinate and direct the activities of engineers, architects and other consultants.
- Coordinate D.R.E. processing and budgets (if applicable).
- Maintain effective cost and design quality controls.
- Coordinate with homeowner’s associations to resolve project-related issues through community close-out.
Managerial Responsibility Does this position supervise other employees? Yes
- College degree required.
- Five to ten years’ experience in the building industry required.
- Five to ten years’ experience in land development and entitlement of projects required.
- Must be computer literate with experience in Windows, Excel and Word.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and follow-through skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel to various locations within the division.
- Ability to read and understand plans, entitlement, land acquisition agreements and other documents as required to perform duties.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a cohesive team dealing with complex projects
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job in accordance with corporate requirements and professional business practices.
Benefits: In addition to competitive medical, dental and vision coverage, The New Home Company provides comprehensive benefits to eligible team members and their dependents, generous paid time off policies, like vacation, holidays, sick leave, jury duty, and bereavement; paid disability, parental and military leave; company-sponsored and voluntary term life, AD&D, and short- and long-term disability insurances; a 401(k) retirement plan with bi-weekly employer matching of 50% up to the first 8% of team member contributions; as well as a wellness incentive program.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Similarly, the work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The activities that are essential to performing the position duties include:
- Lifting: From 1 (lbs) to 15 (lbs)
- Seeing: Full Color Vision
- Repetitive Motion (i.e. Gripping)
The environmental factors involved with the job duties and work location include:
Noise Level: Low to Moderate (Corporate/Sales Office Environment)
New Home Co. retains the discretion to add or change job duties at any time.
Powered by JazzHR
- Business Administration
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: MTU3MDo2aW9hMHVkZGE4
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.