About the Job
Postdoc 2 USACE/DOD/CRREL– Modeling Specialist
Limited to a period of four years. The individual may be immediately post-degree or returning for additional training, updating, and retooling. Post-doctoral associates cannot be appointed on sponsored institutional training grants, sponsored individual fellowship or training awards. Post-doctoral associates are University of Minnesota employees. They are receiving additional training while also performing services for the University, for which they are compensated. Note: These are not positions to which permanent residency can be granted for international appointees.
About the job
We are looking for a highly motivated and efficient Postdoctoral Associate who will have the opportunity to employ multidisciplinary approaches to work with a team to study past and present impacts of disease and climate change on communities in Alaska to conduct forecast climate modeling. Project components include but are not limited to archival research on past pandemics, remote sensing, ground truthing during field seasons in Alaska and modeling the effects of ongoing climate change on community infrastructure and substrate thaw and erosion. This position will focus primarily on the spatial modeling aspect of the project using compiled data from published databases and fieldwork. Project data will be compiled into publicly available online platforms with components from research teams nationally.
This position is available starting October 1, 2022 and renewable on a yearly basis for a minimum of three years. The contract may be extended based the performance and funding availability. Salary will be based on NIH scale and commensurate with experience.Qualifications
• Ph.D. in Biological Sciences, Mathematics, or related fields
• Minimum 1 year experience in spatial modeling analysis
• Experience in mathematical/statistical research projects highlighting spatial modeling (Agent-based models, Ecological niche models etc.)
• Proficient in R and/or Python statistical programming
• Experience using ArcGIS mapping software and integrating statistical programming
• Project or lab management experience (experience with USACE or DOD projects a plus)About the Department
The mission of the University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth campus is to be a national leader in improving healthcare access and outcomes in rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
We do this by:
BenefitsWorking at the University
- Educating medical students dedicated to serving rural Minnesota and American Indian/Alaska Native communities
- Fostering excellence in research
- Emphasizing the training of physicians in Family Medicine
- Creating strong partnerships locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
- Working in innovative, interdisciplinary and inter-professional teams
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the for more information regarding benefits.How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section. Please submit a CV, Cover Letter, and 3 References to be considered for the position.
This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Post-Doctoral Associate - Modeling Specialist
or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647). Diversity
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Post-Doctoral Associate - Modeling SpecialistEmployment Requirements
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: About the U of MUniversity of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD)
The University of Minnesota, Duluth (UMD) consistently ranks among the top Midwestern, regional universities in U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" issue.
Overlooking Lake Superior, UMD provides an alternative to both large research and small liberal arts environments and attracts students looking for a personalized learning experience on a medium-sized campus of a major university. A firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, as well as professional and graduate students that draw on UMD's many research institutes and labs.
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Market
- International Finance
- Stock Markets
- Quantitative Analysis