Company DescriptionThe California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
The California ISO is committed to the health, safety, and work/life integration of it employees and is proud to offer flexible work arrangements. This position would be eligible to participate in a remote or hybrid schedule.Relocation Assistance is available.Job DescriptionUnder the general direction of the Manager of Transmission Assets, works on complex assignments and acts as technical expert to department staff, and provides expertise in support of Transmission Asset activities. Ensures the ISO is in compliance with the Transmission Control Agreement (TCA) and is responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the ISO Transmission Maintenance Standards with respect to transmission facility (stations and associated equipment) maintenance. Responsible for the administration of the Transmission Register, working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the TR data is accurate. Supports the ISO planning process phase three competitive solicitation process.
Your Work Would Consist Of
- Oversees the implementation and enforcement of the ISO Transmission Maintenance Standards. Conducts maintenance reviews of each PTO’s station maintenance records and facilities. Analyzes results from the annual maintenance reviews, standard maintenance reporting system, and availability measures to identify any positive or negative trending, and makes appropriate recommendations to the ISO and PTOs that will result in overall improvements to grid reliability.
- Provides the primary administrative functions for the Transmission Register (TR) for internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides station expertise and joint oversight in implementing the CAISO Transmission Planning Process Phase III competitive solicitation process.
- Partners with and supports the Regional Transmission Engineering, Grid Operations, and others within the ISO to understand and resolve identified transmission facility related issues. Trains and mentors others concerning transmission facilities and their function. Resolves transmission facility maintenance related stakeholder issues.
- In partnership with the Manager of Transmission Assets, guides and sets goals to improve the functionality of the group and the overall department. Actively participates in staff meetings, and identifies improvements to department practices, policies and processes. Represents the ISO’s interests in public and industry forums.
- Ensures that Transmission Assets remains in compliance with FERC, NERC and other regulatory requirements relating to transmission maintenance. Responsible for Transmission Assets transmission facility compliance reporting requirements.
- Leads the Transmission Maintenance Coordination Committee (TMCC) in the absence of the Director of Grid Assets.
- The position requires travel within the ISO’s footprint 5 to 7 times a year to inspect substation and high voltage equipment.
QualificationsLevel of Education and Discipline:
- A Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) required in Electrical Engineering in Electrical Power Engineering.
Amount Of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus five (5) or more years related experience.
Type Of Experience
- Experience in high voltage Transmission Facility Equipment and Transmission Facility Maintenance or directly related experience.
- Experience with California or other WECC transmission grid desired.
- Experience in evaluating and reviewing technical proposals to construct, own, and operate transmission assets.
- Must be proficient in standard office computer applications including MS Word, MS Access and MS Excel.
- Experience or ability to learn and use other software applications including GIS mapping software applications desired
Additional Skills And Abilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to perform effectively in high-pressure situations while maintaining focus and calmness.
- Ability to provide timely professional assessments with limited information and/or assumptions, and to confidently act on decisions.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment as a facilitator and team member.
- We will also consider a Lead Transmission Assets Station Engineer - Substation level. This position would require a Bachelor's degree or equivalent as stated above, plus six (6) or more years of related experience.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Professional Engineer
- Civil Engineering
- Construction Management
- Engineer In Training
- Engineering Design Process