Registers/pre-registers patients to receive medical services in clinic, laboratory, inpatient, outpatient or emergency department. Obtains demographic information, validates insurance, and receives/post payments. Adheres to necessary regulatory requirements. Answers and/or refers questions received from patients, visitors, and staff to appropriate department. Performs various related clerical functions. Always shows respect and value for our customer and projects an image of professionalism.
- Perform a variety of face-to-face registration, pre-registration, walk in outpatient scheduling, and collection functions for all patients including self-pay patients.
- Utilize electronic insurance verification system to verify insurance benefits and determine copay and/or coinsurance for the patient’s services; ask all eligible patients for copay and/or coinsurance to meet monthly Point of Service goals.
- Contacts patients via phone for necessary information pertaining to registration, billing and financial responsibility via our pre-registration process.
- Assists patients at time of service with general benefit and financial responsibility inquires and posts payments to patient accounts as appropriate.
- Manages time effectively to perform complete registration questionnaires while meeting departmental productivity standards in compliance with system productivity policies. Uses time to complete other departmental duties when patients cannot be registered.
- Maintains high attention to detail by reviewing all work for completeness and accuracy in compliance with system quality assurance policies. Completes registrations to meet department accuracy standards for error-free work as demonstrated on the monthly KPI (Key Performance Indicators).
- Understand basic Registration processes and provide feedback to management on issues that impede timeliness or quality of Registration and work with management to resolve.
- Independently review assigned reports/work queues to ensure goals and deadlines are met.
- Maintains current knowledge of insurance requirements communicated by email, memorandum, educational matrices and in-services.
- Seeks assistance from Financial Counselors when needed to maintain patient flow while resolving financial issues. Communicates effectively with service delivery areas when unresolved financial issues threaten appointment schedules.
- Respects the rights and dignity of all patients. Provides and maintains patient privacy at all times. Is compliant with HIPAA guidelines and privacy practices, patient confidentiality and patient rights.
- Escorts customer/employees to their requested location when possible. (Site Specific).
- Immediately approaches a customer or employee who seems lost and offers assistance.
- Takes ownership of a customer’s problem. Ensures the matter is resolved in a timely manner if able or exculpate to the appropriate department.
- Functions as a team member to organize and prioritize responsibilities to complete daily work requirements:
- a. Complies with changes in duties and assignments in a positive and cooperative manner.
- b. Adjusts to peaks in workload: demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to change.
- c. Completes assignments in appropriate time frames.
- d. Offers assistance to co-workers to ensure completion of all assigned duties as necessary.
- e. Performs duties in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision or direction.
- Demonstrates a positive, supportive, respectful and helpful attitude in interactions with all department customers (patients, physicians, visitors and other healthcare team members).
- Assist management with training new staff as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Type accuracy of 85%.
- Experience with a computer database program preferred.
- Previous experience in registration, credit/collection or billing, in a healthcare setting is preferred.
- Demonstrate the ability to accurately and independently solve problems.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to interact with patients and guarantors to explain payment and billing policies and persuade patients to settle account balances.
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers internally and externally while demonstrating ProMedica’s values of compassion, innovation, teamwork, and excellence.
- Ability to move about and between workstations.
- Effective interpersonal skills.
- Input and retrieve information from computer.
- Must be able to complete 4-5 weeks of full time training, Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex/gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, familial or marital status, genetics, or any other legally protected category. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a job with ProMedica, please contact [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Patient Registration Specialist - Centralized Registration Ops - Full Time - Days
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace
- Customer Service
- Health Insurance
- Electronic Medical Record
- Scheduling Appointments
- Insurance Information