Job Title: Assistant GIS Specialist
Location: Houston, TX
Job type and Duration: Contract 1 year+
The Staff Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialist will perform in developing, updating, analyzing, and managing GIS data for a wide variety of professional services. This position will perform in a variety GIS analysis, GIS data development, GIS data maintenance and data preparation for use in public safety GIS systems and regularly communicate project status to our customers, as customer service is a key component of the Staff GIS Specialist position. The Staff GIS Specialist will work closely within functional teams to deliver GIS data and GIS services to our clients, with a strong emphasis on teamwork, customer commitment, sense of urgency, and continuous improvement.
- Analyze GIS, data, and mapping for the Engineering, and Surveying departments while supporting both internal and external project teams.
- Produce technical specifications, project approach, cost estimates and schedules.
- Develop and review GIS mapping and data collection tasks.
- Utilize various software packages and information from various sources (MS Access databases, MS Excel spreadsheets and documents such as deeds, field notes etc.) to create GIS maps to support field personnel as well as for deliverables.
- Perform digital feature extraction from multiple data sources.
- Execute projections and transformations for project deliverables.
- Support GIS system needs and requirements to implement improved work methods.
- Create and update new and existing GIS maps and map layers and GPS data edition and representation using ArcGIS in support of field surveys.
- Collect GPS data and post-processing for high accuracy data specifications.
- Support GIS metadata creation.
- Design extensions and add-ins for GIS applications such as ESRI ArcGIS Explorer for in-house use.
- Perform land survey records search, ownership data research from various sources.
- Support geo-reference Raster and Vector data.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in GIS, geography, environmental science, or closely related natural science field. Applicable years of experience may be applied for degree requirement.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working in the ArcGIS desktop and online environment is required (ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 or higher required).
- Basic GIS skills, including data analysis abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office suite.
- Prior GPS and applicable natural science field experience a plus.
Willowbrook, IL 60527
View all open jobs at:
Leaders in Technical Recruiting & Staffing since 1965
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our work force .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status or any other attribute or protected characteristic by law. If you need assistance applying please contact us at
- Arcgis Servers
- Socet Set