Title: Project Engineer - Instrument and Controls
Location: Naperville, IL
Duration: Permanent Hire
The Project Engineer Instrument and Controls
(PE-IC) is responsible for controls design and instrumentation application associated with projects. Must be knowledgeable of PLC and DCS technology platforms and their applications, and have the ability to generate or review and approve project documentation such as functional descriptions, panel layout drawings, logic drawings, controls lists (BOM, I/O, Alarm and Setpoint Lists) as well as complete Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) in vendor locations or in the commissioning phase of projects in the field. The PE-IC will have the ability to design control device hardware and software (flow, pressure, temperature, motor drives, and control valves). The PE-IC will be expected to maintain timeliness, accuracy and thoroughness throughout the project lifecycle. The individual will be assigned projects and will likely participate in more than one project at a time. The PE-IC will work closely with vendors, consultants, clients and project leadership in providing control solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform I/C project duties and support projects as required
- Perform component selection and logic sequence design
- Interface with Controls suppliers, vendors, consultants and contractors
- Review I/C information / drawings from sub-contractors
- Write Functional Description, Sequences of Operation, Equipment Manuals, System Descriptions, and design criteria for I/C systems
- Assist with the establishment of control methodology and strategy based upon discussions with Project and Process Engineering
- Create Various I/C drawings including SAMA Diagrams (both analog and digital), electrical drawings, and one-line drawings
- Create Operator Screen designs
- Establish Safety System criteria for I/C design
- Participate in sub-contractor shop testing (FAT), FTI shop equipment testing and FTI project start-up
- Maintain communication channels with Rockwell Software, Revere Electric and other I/C OEM companies.
- Keep current on I/C industry development, especially PLC technology, capabilities and pricing
- Keep Sub-contractors informed on FTI project schedule requirements to ensure on-time delivery of components and systems.
- Maintain proper electrical and I/C record keeping and storage (cut sheets, design documents, drawings)
- Be available to help field personnel troubleshoot day-to-day field electrical and I/C issues
- Knowledgeable in both ISA and KKS tagging platforms and capable of generating such tagging schemes based on client requirements.
- Working knowledge of eWON or other remote networking capabilities.
This position does not directly supervise other employees and is based on self-direction.
Technical Skills Required:
Technical Skills Strongly Desired:
- Programming Allen-Bradley PLC products. Emphasis on Control Logix family (Control Logix and Compact Logix) and some understanding of SLC 500, MicroLogix.
- Allen-Bradley PanelView and PanelView Plus Products
- Allen-Bradley Factorytalk View Products (ME and SE)
- Other platform knowledge are welcome and will be considered
- Instrumentation and device set-up (flow, pressure, temperature, and control valves), loop checks and trouble-shooting.
- Creation, review and modification of SAMA drawings
- Programming Operator Interface Computers using FactoryTalk View SE or RSView 32
- KKS & ISA tagging generation/knowledge
- Working understanding of Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
- Prior Exposure to ABB Bailey, Westinghouse, Emerson, Invensys, and Honeywell Control Systems
- Motor Control Center (MCC) design experience
- AC drive selection and programming experience
- Experience with other PLC's including Modicon, Delta V, GE, and Siemens
This position requires travel (minimum of 25%) both domestically and internationally and may require extended periods of two weeks or more in the field.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. in Engineering (Electrical strongly preferred)
- 3-5 years of experience as a Project Engineer with instrument and controls emphasis (or demonstrate equivalent experience)
Analytical - Synthesizes information; Collects and researches data; Applies workflows, checklists, work instructions and procedures. Ability to prioritize and solve practical problems and apply good engineering judgement during the life of a project. Work in in office or site conditions where there may be limited or ambiguous guidance available on solving technical control issues.
Communication Skills - Speaks and writes clearly and can articulate a controls issue with clarity. Is able to understand verbal and written instruction. Is able to be effective while working under tight deadlines or situations where individual performance is critical to project success. Keeps management aware of higher level issues and understands the importance of timely communications.
Design Follows standards and instructions and is able to generates creative solutions. Applies solid documentation and organization to design deliverables. Maintains keen awareness to detail. Maintains understanding and application of current design codes.
Problem Solving - Gathers and analyzes key information to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
Excellence and Quality Management Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Specific computer or testing skills may be required for specific assignments. Must have experience with industry design standards and codes.
Judgment Displays good engineering judgment and decision-making skills.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities without daily supervision. Plans for additional resources; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
Willowbrook, IL 60527
View all open jobs at:
Leaders in Technical Recruiting & Staffing since 1965
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our work force .
- Scheduling (Computing)
- Storage (Warehousing)
- Scheduling (Project Management)