To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
1401 I Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20005
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Director - State Government Relations
H&R Block Corporate • Washington, DC
Posted 10 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Independently identify state legislative and regulatory actions that impact H&R Block. In Coordination with the VP Government relations, create education campaigns that develop positions and strategies to impact enterprise-wide issues of concern. Position acts as the overall interface on company legislative issues within specific states, overseeing plan components that can include direct legislative and regulatory lobbying, contract lobbyist management, political development, third-party ally development, and grassroots programing. Position plays an integral role in planning, budgeting, and performance of state government affairs objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Policy/Legislative/Regulatory analysis: Monitor, identify and define state legislative and regulatory actions that impact H&R Block. Working with Corporate functions and Business Units, develop advocacy positions and facilitate corrective strategies to positively impact enterprise-wide issues and achievement of strategic business objectives that have significant impact on business results.
- State Relationship: Foster and build positive relationships with government officials, key legislative staff, opinion leaders, third-party agencies and other external stakeholders of importance to H&R Block’s reputation. Conduct briefings, meetings, forums and technical updates for legislators and regulators and their staffs on issues of concern to H&R Block.
- External coalitions, associations: Lead or participate in external stakeholder coalitions as appropriate and serve as a principal HRB spokesperson before governmental bodies.
- Communications: Provide in-depth issue knowledge and external thought leadership. Work collaboratively with other key functions and stakeholders, including Legal, Compliance, Federal Government Affairs and others to fashion policy statements and positions to impact state issues. Identify and develop strategic relationships with coalition partners, professional societies, thought leaders, and trade groups in key states to provide leadership and focus in areas of mutual interest and to influence the tax preparation industry and related financial services. Critical expertise on enterprise-wide issues that affect HRB, including, but not limited to, tax administration, return preparer regulations, tax policy, and financial services.
- Planning/budgeting: Responsible for planning, budgeting and directing the State Government Affairs function. Collaborates with Federal Government Relations on overall department plans and budgets as appropriate.
- Manage Contract Lobbyists: Identify, review and recommend contract lobbyists in identified states. Manage the contract lobbyists by identifying main priorities and objectives and evaluating their performance in attainment of objectives.
- Compliance: Collaborate with Federal Government Relations and legal to ensure compliance with state lobbying laws and regulations.
- Additional responsibilities as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Business Administration or Communications, other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Seven years people and/or product/program management experience with increasing levels of responsibility; demonstrated skills with performing organizational design, performing risk assessments, setting priorities and negotiating competing priorities. 5-10 years of progressive experience in political, grassroots, lobbying, or campaign organizing experience.
- Self-starter, assertive and confident; “can do” attitude and team player
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and develop teams. Preferred experience in leading a remote team while maintaining alignment and connection with executive and business priorities.
- Proven leadership, influence management and ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed organization.
- Willingness and ability to travel often and to maintain a flexible work schedule;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of schedules, tight deadlines, and competitive demands.
- Ability to translate business strategy into product/program strategy.
- Ability to balance what are often competing priorities between various customers.
- Demonstrated leadership/management, strategic planning, negotiation, and influence management skills.
- Ability to work with external vendors, guide groups toward a vision, and deal with ambiguity while leading geographically dispersed groups toward a common vision.
- Possess good business liaison capabilities. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Exceptional listening skills. Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization from senior executives to staff level. Strong presentation skills necessary to communicate and influence a wide range of audiences.
- Travel: 25 – 40%