To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Chicago, IL
- Kathy Claxton
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director Of Manufacturing
The River Group Inc. • Chicago, IL
Posted 21 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Job Title: Director of Manufacturing
Location: Chicago area
Compensation: $150-180k + bonus
Benefits: Full benefits
About our Client:
The Director of Manufacturing opening is with a privately-owned plastic injection and blow molding company that now will have multiple facilities in N. America. The flagship facility is located in the Chicago area, with a new facility in Mississippi; this Director of Manufacturing will be responsible for both facilities. Product lineup focuses on homewares and drinkware products molded from plastic and other common polymers. This is non-automotive environment; paramount for the successful candidate is experience in injection and/or blow molding w/ a Production/Operations Mgmt., and leadership-level experience.
This position reports to the CEO. You will be over the whole plant – full P&L – your team will include a Tool Room Mgr., Blow Molding Mgr., Injection Molding Mgr., Warehouse Mgr., and a Maintenance Mgr. HR and other staff employees are dotted lines, reporting to management in their own department
- Oversees production leadership. Controls quality, cost of production, distribution and receiving of materials through appropriate team leaders.
- Provide leadership to employees of which requires a heavy floor presence (not operating machinery, but teaching on the floor when needed).
- Takes leadership role for assigned areas in taking any and all necessary steps to provide the safest possible working conditions for all employees.
- Engages in regular and frequent communication with other management team members
- Develops and implements manufacturing operations strategies, building and mentoring manufacturing employees and driving business results. This includes ensuring quality equipment, materials and production standards, overseeing and maintain manufacturing budgets and working with engineers and purchasing team members to manufacture quality products that will meet customer’s expectations in the most cost-effective manner.
- Develops annual business plan to include capital acquisitions, manufacturing processes, manpower plans and overhead expenses ensuring achievement of financial, quality, inventory and productivity goals for both plants.
- Reviews performance against operating plans and standards in compliance with safety, state and federal regulations.
- Ensures appropriate staffing for the plant with qualified and competent personnel and ensures hands-on training as required for an effective program. Ensures management practices are aligned company culture requirements.
- Responsible for the timely implementation and use of “lean manufacturing” principles and tools across both assigned plants.
- Develops overall, and approves individual plant, annual budgets for capital, direct and indirect labor and overhead expenses that will assure productivity improvements and maintenance of existing equipment and facilities.
- Responsible for manufacturing capacity planning process. Develops strategic footprint that optimizes existing and potential plant capacities and capabilities.
- Coordinates and insures the implementation of quality plans consistent with ISO standards.
- Provides regular reports in sufficient detail to keep team members fully up to date on manufacturing performance and steps being taken to correct non-performance.
An automotive molding background could work well in this non-automotive environment due to the focus on continuous improvement. A mindset that accepts change as a requisite for improvement is much needed and sought. This is not an operations turnaround at all; there is the new MS production facility that will need the savvy and focus to get it running as efficiently as possible, as soon as possible. They need someone whose leadership style has heavy floor presence (not operating machinery, but teaching on the floor when needed). Through floor presence and working with the owner, you both will get processes streamlined so both plants run more similarly – this will be collaborative in nature.
- BS Degree in Engineering preferred, BS Degree Business or equivalent
- Continuous improvement mindset (practical application of Lean and Six Sigma principles)
- Floor-oriented manager who knows what’s going on in the plant (employees, machinery)
- Vocal leader for whom employees enjoy working
- 100% required: Injection Molding plant leadership experience.
- Strong C/I background
- Experience managing 100+ employees at a molding plant
- Experience running an ISO-9001 certified plant
- Willing to accept some threshold of travel (~20-30%)