The Patient Service Representative performs a variety of duties to accommodate and support visitors to the Immediate Care facility. The Patient Services Representative provides direct assistance to patients in verifying demographic and personal information for all who present for treatment. They are the initial point of contact for all visitors to the Immediate Care facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Attendance and being on time, ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential job requirement.
Represents Immediate Care by displaying a respectful and caring manner with patients and their families.
Interacts calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at Immediate Care. Assists in clerical duties as needed, functioning as a member of the health care team.
Participates in development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the physical and emotional comfort and safety of patients. Maintains competence through continuing education and in-service training.
Verifies patient demographics, current insurance, and obtains patient consent to treat to ensure accurate billing. Assists patients with various forms, and obtains insurance waiver signatures as necessary.
Performs a variety of duties involved in greeting and directing patients, their families, vendors, pharmaceutical representatives, and other business associates. Provides information to patients and their families on such matters as services, charges and routine treatment procedures.
Answers telephone, takes messages, transfers calls and provides information to other Immediate Care departments upon request. Problem solves and utilizes resources to obtain patient information when patient is unable to communicate, seeking assistance as needed.
Accepts packages and deliveries from outside and inside sources, directing and distributing or sorting as needed.
Processes appropriate forms, and copies insurance card information to ensure accurate billing and medical record information. Receive payments on patient accounts; compares cash receipts and payments in balancing daily receipts, logging and securing payments according to policy.
Assists in compilation of data for regular and special reports as requested by the Site Administrator and other management personnel.
Assists other departments as needed, including Occupational Health, Legal and Corporate.
Presents patient with information regarding Immediate Care HIPAA policy and obtains patient’s signature acknowledging their receipt of the HIPAA information.
Demonstrates the ability to accept responsibility for appropriate conduct within the office setting and with other department associates by interacting calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at Immediate Care.
Functions as a member of the health care team related to patient care by interaction and cooperation with physicians and other health care professionals. Routes patient records and specimens to assigned locations as needed, orders patient record details as needed. Refers patients to proper clinical resources for health care questions and to proper personnel for Immediate Care policies.
Responsible for maintaining inventory of office supplies.
Maintains strict confidentiality of patient information.
Completes clerical duties in a time efficient manner as set forth by the Site Administrator. Reports errors or problems so that appropriate action may be taken for patient care.
Confers with patient to obtain accurate information for records. Assists in completion of insurance/compensation/disability forms.
Maintain front end work area and front of house in clean and orderly condition; set up, clean and disinfect reception area ensuring entrance way clear of all debris.
Complies with quality assurance, HIPAA, customer service, infection control, safety, and workers compensation guidelines and other policies as set forth.
Independently problem solves and utilizes resources to obtain patient information when patient is unable to communicate.
Performs drug screens as needed.
Other duties as assigned and requested.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- Associates Degree in related field preferred, minimum of High School diploma required.
- Minimum of 1 year in previous customer service related position required.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in a medical office/clinic environment preferred
- 1 year prior experience in Occupation Medicine and experience in conducting drug screens preferred.
- Current BLS validation required
- Prior experience with electronic medical records and HealtheNet preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform patient intake and document problems appropriately, seeking guidance as needed
- High degree of verbal communication and interpersonal skills to determine needs, provide information, instruct, and provide emotional support
- Working knowledge of general office equipment including fax and copy machines, multi-line phone system, and personal computer
- Ability to address and resolve conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to be flexible
- Strong organizational, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented work.
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere.
- Courteous and professional demeanor.
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the facility.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations.
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork.
- Ability to work and travel to multiple locations if needed.
PHYSICAL / ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting.
- Occasional travel locally
- Occasional lifting/carrying (10 pounds or less)
- Occasional standing/bending
- Moderate to high stress level
- Prolonged sitting, telephone and computer use
- Associated health risks related to patient exposure including bodily fluids and disease
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, 10-key, calculator, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions. Also, may require physical and/or mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours beyond a regular schedule and/or more than five days per week.
Enter Patient Demographic
Verify Patient Information
Provide Directional Information
Process Patient Payment