To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Irvine, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Counselor (Generalist) (One or More)
Irvine Valley College • Irvine, CA
Posted 7 days ago
Experience - At least 2 year(s)
Degree - 4 Year Degree
Education - Teaching - Administration, Other Great Industries
Professional Services, Other
How Do You Compare to the Competition?
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide individual and group counseling for students with academic, career, and personal concerns. Conduct student orientation and advisement sessions and help students in developing and achieving educational plans. Assist students in defining personal and educational plans and goals. Create an environment for students that develop self-direction capabilities. Develop proficiency and maintain competency in the use of computer applications used in counseling, teaching, and articulation related activities. May instruct Applied Psychology courses and counseling-related workshops. Assignments may include evening and/or weekend courses and locations other than the main campus. Maintain knowledge of and ability to integrate computer technology in the classroom, and ability to offer counseling, curriculum and instruction through distance education delivery modes as appropriate. Ongoing academic monitoring, planning and intervention techniques as they pertain to students’ goals. Perform other duties as contractually required.
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
- Master’s degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling from an accredited college or university; OR
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- Valid California Community College Instructor credential, appropriate to the subject, per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
- A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of item 1 or 2 above (candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in addition to all other required materials).
- Minimum of two (2) years full-time (or part-time equivalent) recent and successful community college counseling experience including personal, career, academic and group counseling.
- Experience counseling student athletes who must meet Commission on Athletics (COA), National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and National Association Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) guidelines. The assignment of the successful applicant will be half in Athletic Counseling.
- Knowledge of articulation agreements, academic policies, requirements and procedures that impact community college students.
- Experience in matriculation mandates as they pertain to educational planning, follow up intervention probation and disqualification.
- Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
- Teaching experience at the community college and/or university level.
- Strong counseling, communication, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member within a collegial setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of state-mandated matriculation policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Experience in the use of computer technology as a teaching tool, a student tracking system, a communication network and with counseling and articulation activities.
- Knowledge of and ability to integrate computer technology in the classroom and to offer curriculum and instruction through diverse delivery and distance education delivery modes as appropriate.
- Knowledge of the unique needs of student athletes as they pertain to their educational and athletic eligibility.
- Knowledge of career planning theory, resources and instructional methodology.
- Resume / CV
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 3
- Transcript 4
- Transcript 5
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Other Doc
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation 1
- License or Certificate
Job ID: P0012845/REQ6832
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.