To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Sterling Heights, MI
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Mechanical Design Engineer
MAG • Sterling Heights, MI
Posted 16 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
We are globally represented with locations in Germany, in the US, China, India, Hungary, UK, and Switzerland. With a strong foundation based upon renowned machine tool brands such as BOEHRINGER, Cross Hüller, Ex-Cell-O, and Lamb, MAG has become a global player since its founding in 2005. MAG serves the automotive and truck industries and their suppliers with unmatched technology and expertise.
MAG offers machine tools, manufacturing systems, and services including turning, milling, honing, systems integration, automation, software, maintenance, retrofit, e-learning, and core components for machine tools.
As full scale supplier, MAG manufacturing solutions include machining technology, process capability, system design and full turnkey systems.
We are seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer to design work holding fixtures and mechanical devices for metal removal CNC and special application machines.
In this role the Mechanical Design Engineer will work closely with all other engineering disciplines, both in Sterling Heights and Germany. Engineering support for manufacturing and service will be on an as needed basis. A high level of communication is expected in both verbal and written format (e.g. design checklists, technical reports, PowerPoints, Word docs, and Excel). Design engineering areas of responsibility are listed below.
- Design work holding fixtures based on customer part locating datum, process demands, cutting forces, and MAG standard fixture design principles.
- Design work holding fixtures and other mechanical devices using sound mechanical design principles. Designs correctly sized based on application, project scope and project budgets. Understanding of material applications and material heat treat applications in mechanical designs. Understanding of mating component sizing and fits. Basic knowledge of fluid power design as it relates to work holding fixtures and other mechanical devices.
- Ability to understand and properly apply correct Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance Standards to mechanical designs.
- Research and develop mechanical work holding technologies to be used in connection with MAG machines.
- Investigate application of new technology, equipment and procedures for new systems designs.
- Interact with Electrical, Software, Technology and Mechanical engineering to ensure designs are understood by all disciplines.
- Design using AutoCAD, & Siemens NX (3D software) or comparable 3D design software.
- Develop product cost models to bring resolution to product design cost. Identify and develop opportunities for cost reduction &/or technical improvements.
- Develop and continuously improve MAG standard documentation, such as checklists, Design and Build documents and technical manuals, to be used for training and proposal departments.
- Create mechanical Bills of Material both within the design environment and the material release software PLM (engineering release database).
- Processes release of drawings and Bills of Material for manufacturing, as well as review and approval of changes.
- Generate and maintain appropriate records and reports complete with supporting documentation.
- Coordinate with Mechanical Project Engineer to arrange design review meetings with all internal parties that are affected by project design.
- Support Mechanical Project Engineering with lineups for outside suppliers, as well as other MAG departments.
- Assist the Mechanical Project Engineer for Service department support and required field engineering services.
- Keep Mechanical Project Engineer & Engineering Manager up-to-date on status of all jobs.
- Review mechanical designs with engineers prior to release for build.
- Adhere to quality, customs, foreign trade zone and environmental processes and procedures.
- Stay up-to-date with new technology within MAG and at outside suppliers. Continue education in these areas.
- Define training requirements to support new equipment requirements, and schedule training events to educate affected parties as to the new design.
MAG cherishes its workforce. 30% of our team has been with us for 25+ years. MAG values its team and sets itself apart by offering:
- Opportunities for growth, development and promotion,
- Company paid certifications, licenses and training,
- Competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance,
- 401k, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off,
- Occasional travel is common in this position if desired.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Mechanical engineering; plus two or more years of applied mechanical design experience/or training; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- May be required to work temporary assignments at other MAG facilities. Must be able to supply own transportation for local travel.
If you meet the above requirement and would like to learn more, we invite you to please apply.
MAG Automotive is a Military & Veteran friendly company. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.