To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
14501 Sweitzer Lane
Laurel, MD 20707
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Occupational Health Nurse
Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission • Laurel, MD
Posted 27 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) applies knowledge of the principles and practices of occupational health in order to provide for and deliver WSSC-wide health and safety programs and services to workers and worker populations.
The OHN focuses on WSSC-wide programmatic promotion and restoration of health, prevention of illness and injury and protection from work related and environmental hazards and makes appropriate recommendations for policy and procedural changes in conjunction with the Safety and Health Program. Occupational health evaluations are conducted and recommendations are made at Commission-wide sites to ensure compliance with all federal and state laws as well as local and Commission regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develops, manages, coordinates and is responsible for the WSSC-wide medical surveillance programs and initiates programmatic changes to minimize employee health risk
- Develops and assists in managing WSSC-wide health related contracts, i.e., substance abuse testing, medical surveillance; DOT/CDL testing requirements
- Develops and administers a WSSC Health Clinic for use by all Commission employees
- Administers first-aid to employees injured on the job
- Evaluates Commission-wide first-aid facilities for proper equipment and to ensure proper training of staff
- Consults with the health care providers on various projects such as establishing vaccine programs, medical surveillance, substance abuse, etc. and implements Commission-wide approved programs
- Provides guidance to employees in response to their questions and concerns regarding the WSSC occupational health programs
- Conducts and/or coordinates various health related training/wellness programs such as diabetes, hypertension, stress reduction program, blood born pathogen, etc.
- Conducts examination of licensed WSSC drivers and recommends appropriate action based on the employee’s health condition
- Coordinates and interprets test results from substance abuse tests (CDL driver substance abuse testing and Fitness for Duty) and provides recommendations to supervisor, employee, and EAP counselor
- Coordinates reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing with supervisors to ensure that the process is done according to policy, and meets with the supervisor and HR to discuss recommendations when the outcomes of the test are positive
- Develops and teaches required substance abuse classes for both CDL drivers and supervisors as required by the DOT federal regulations
• Graduation from an accredited Nursing school
• Licensed as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Maryland
• Certified as an Occupational Health Nurse (COHN-S)
• 3+ years of experience in a labor-intensive industrial environment
- Comprehensive understanding of current occupational health principles and practices as required by federal and state laws and regulations such as OSHA, CDC, NIOSH, DOT, MOSH, etc. as well as Commission-wide policies, procedures and practices
- Comprehensive understanding and awareness of Safety and Occupational Health programs in a labor-intensive the industrial environment
- Understanding of accident prevention environmental tests and methodologies of occupational health practices
- Ability to manage Commission-wide programs, design, develop, formulate, recommend, and implement Commission-wide health and safety policies and procedures