Position: Managing Director, South Atlantic Operations
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Type: Full-Time Permanent Position
Other: Excellent Benefits, Great Company Culture, Stable, Growing, & Strong Advancement Potential
Relocation: Relocation assistance is available
Nationally ranked and well respected ENR civil engineering professional service firm is a leading player in its water and wastewater specialty niche and is focused on municipalities. Privately held, well established and growing this engineering consultancy has locations coast-to-coast as well as international and boasts annual revenues of approximately $100 million.
Seek a confident and experienced Managing Director (open to an individual ready to step up). The Managing Director will lead a staff of approximately 20 civil Professional Engineers across the well-established and growing business sectors in Richmond, Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Hampton Roads. Driven with the passion to run a “best in class” doer /seller design, build and construct consultancy. Reporting directly to an exceptional Executive VP, the Managing Director will establish the South Atlantic Operating Group goals for revenue, profit, bookings, awards under negotiation, staff size, staff competencies, and markets served. As a doer/seller role the Managing Director works closely with company leaders and staff to market the firm, deliver high-quality best in class engineering projects, and develop new firm business and expand the existing business.
- Oversee/direct the Operating Group financial state including budgeting and new business planning, forecasting and implementation.
- Monitor the budget to ensure successful compliance regarding staff costs, profitability, and expenses.
- Direct and coordinate projects, prepare Project Performance Plans, meet/exceed client / project goals.
- Direct, review, and approve quality control for operating group deliverables
- Trusted-advisor to specific operating group clients
- Lead the operating group new business development process
- Lead marketing efforts and planning for assigned pursuits
- Analyze market trends and resources needed per 5-year business planning
- Recruit and retain “high potential” staff, manage/mentor the team for hiring, performance appraisals, training, and development; recommend salary increases, promotions, transfers, and terminations, etc.
- Establish operating group staffing and organization plan
- Create the best possible culture/environment work
- Direct Office scheduling ensuring target utilization rates (DTR) is achieved
- Represent the South Atlantic Operating Group at meetings and monthly business development calls.
- Represent the South Atlantic Operating Group at trade associations, civic and client meetings
- Provide ethical, creative, collegial and common sense leadership
15 to 25+ years of experience with increasing responsibility, planning, designing and leading large complex municipal water, wastewater, solid waste, and urban infrastructure programs.
- "Hands-on", experience managing teams, ideally in multi-office locations doing Design/Build/Construct work
- B.S. Civil Engineering, MBA or PMP is a plus
- P.E. registration (Virginia or ability to get registered in VA)
- Prior strategic planning experience
- Strong management/supervisory skills able to positively drive the development and execution of strategies and capture plans
- A “hands-on” doer/seller professional, leads by example and motivates the operating group, at all levels, and who demonstrates and strives for success and excellence
- Business development experience with a professional services civil engineering firm focused on municipal water /wastewater work
- Proven ethics, integrity, strong interpersonal skills, a sense of urgency and a drive and desire to build the Virginia practice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Pension, Matching 401K, Profit Sharing, Summer Hours, Long & Short Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, EAP, Training & Career Development and more.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
New Business Development