Title: Operations Controller
Reporting to: Managing Director
Pay: $140,000 - $160,000 plus bonus and a competitive benefits package
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Please note that there is no move package and local candidates will be given higher consideration.
The Opportunity: Premierehire has been engaged to search for a top candidate in this critical and visible role of Operations Controller. This is a new role for a fast growing and well-funded global distributor of leading-edge consumer products in local & emerging markets.
The Operations Controller (OC) reports directly to the Managing Director (MD) and is responsible for monitoring business performance and to investigate underlying challenges or opportunities. The OC focus is on people, policy, process and process improvement. Utilizing his/her cross functional business expertise, the OC will present performance data and potential issues/solutions to executives for decision making. The OC will monitor performance metrics and, combined with understanding the why behind the numbers, will present the bottom line to the MD. The OC will work closely with department Directors and Managers to help them effectively monitor metrics and identify needed shifts or resolutions to underlying problems.
This key role will help the MD and executive team know if the business is being executed as planned, be alerted to unexpected shifts or challenges so they can pivot quickly, protect profit margins, and mitigate expense over runs. The OC will also be a key player in helping to develop budgets and performance metrics for new projects or product lines.
- Driving performance measures for the operation (including a consideration of efficiency versus effectiveness), often in the form of dashboards convenient for review of high-level key indicators.
- At the direction of the MD, marshaling resources to the most productive uses with the aim of creating maximum value for the company's stakeholders.
- Maintain a culture of performance management and decision making based on facts and data analytics.
- Develop strong relationships with the team of analysts to ensure open collaboration and accountability for accurate and timely data.
- Provide coaching and leadership to all managers to help them identify the most relevant performance metrics for their areas.
- Monitoring of performance metrics includes not just what is happening but investigating why. This position is not about producing reports but about understanding data to provide business intelligence for timely decision making.
- Presents data, metrics, and business intelligence insights potentially with scenarios, projections and /or solutions for management decision making.
- Establishes pricing guidelines or ranges to empower decision making at the right level but maintain and monitor product margins. Works closely with marketing, sales and merchandising to monitor GP and enable daily adjustments depending on inventory, rate of sale, and liquidation requirements.
- Establishes expense/ budget guidelines to empower decision making but monitor unplanned expenses and changes
- Able to quickly provide insight and/or runs scenarios on new costs related to changes in items such as shipping, import/export taxes, customs, currency changes, or FDA regulations.
- Working with analyst team and stakeholders, ensures data integrity and that metrics reporting is tied to transaction level and eventual GL records. Discrepancies and timing issues are well understood and mitigated so as not to skew performance measurements.