Director, eCommerce Merchandising
The Director of eCommerce Merchandising is responsible for defining the brand and eCommerce Merchandising strategies across categories and platforms (desktop web, mobile web and mobile app) that are consistent with brand and business goals and delivers a world-class customer experience. A successful eCommerce Merchandising leader will combine an understanding of visual merchandising and what drives e-commerce sales, an interest in the custom photo product sector, and a passion for user experience to improve the onsite merchandising strategy. They will lead a team that will build an unparalleled shopping experience by Collaborating with marketing and creative services teams to tell key merchandising stories end to end, and work with site and development team to ensure we deliver these stories against the consumer experience. As an expert on how our customers shop, this leader will advocate for the needs of our customers and serve as the go-to person for insights and strategic direction related to site traffic and merchandising performance, leveraging data and driving to improve eCommerce KPIs such as project starts/finishes, add to cart and overall conversion.
The ideal candidate is an innovative, enthusiastic, and customer-focused leader with proven experience driving digital revenue who has great judgment and creative problem-solving skills. This person will have demonstrated skill with technical tools and processes through website management, digital marketing, advanced data analysis or other relevant experience. They will be passionate, organized, and comfortable managing a team of eCommerce Merchandising managers who will work on multiple cross-functional projects at once. This position will report to the VP of eCommerce and work closely with the Category Managers, Product Merchants, Marketing, Pricing & Promotions, and Creative Services teams as well as partnering with Product Management, UX and Engineering on roadmap needs.
- Drive day to day optimization and digital revenue responsibilities across categories. Analyze weekly and daily performance, provide insights and drive day to day optimization across all platforms.
- Define the long-term merchandising strategies across platforms and identify areas to improve site conversion based on a deep understanding of site metrics, industry best practices, the target customer, the competitive landscape, brand and business goals.
- Contribute to the flawless execution of visual merchandising strategies; oversee key pieces of site functionality (i.e. site search, cross-sell, personalization); serve as the business lead for select eCommerce Roadmap projects.
- Utilize reporting (conversion, funnel, etc.) data analytics that provide decision support to business and merchandising strategies to drive growth. Use this data to support making both short- and long-term eCommerce changes.
- Partner with the testing team as needed, for merchandising-led tests as well as testing support.
- Adjust the site strategy based on assessment of the competitive landscape (site merchandising strategies of key competitors and best-in-class online retailers) and emerging online trends
- Monitor and action insights for ecommerce KPI's (revenue, margins, conversion, bounce/exit, cart abandon, RPV, brand/category revenue, etc.) across devices, pages and customer segments, and be able to explain the business drivers behind fluctuations in these metrics. Lead weekly performance review meetings (daily during peak). Lead monthly/quarterly business reviews for the site(s).
- Work closely with the Category Management and Marketing to develop and define business goals by brand and category.
- Work closely with the Product and eCommerce Merchandising teams on developing the visual merchandising strategy. Review key page/category metrics (conversion, exit, revenue, trim attach & revenue, ABN usage, etc.) to continuously optimize the strategy for visual merchandising
- Contribute ideas for testing based on analysis of site data. Drive innovation and optimization through testing and application of eCommerce best practices. Support testing by leading the merchandising strategy for the test
- Deep knowledge of eCommerce best practices; strong merchandising “eye”. Proven ability to link knowledge of branding and target customers to key eCommerce elements in order to drive the business
- Demonstrated responsibility for digital revenue and optimization.
- Passionate about the customer with a strong interest in understanding and driving user behavior
- Analytical and process-oriented, comfortable working with large data sets and making data-driven decisions. Experience with web analytics strongly preferred
- Experience leading a team of eCommerce merchants.
- Senior presence, able to clearly and consistently work side-by-side across functions and departments and synthesize multiple points of view into a coherent action plan
- Able to think both creatively and critically. Willing to think outside the box and challenge the status quo, while also fairly evaluating all possible solutions in making strategic decisions
- Able to manage through ambiguous and subjective situations, including balancing operational efficiency and data analysis with high quality standards and a sense of what is right for the customer
- Able to manage many projects and drive multiple threads of work to completion
- Superb communication skills, clear and concise in both written and verbal communication
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Positive, energetic attitude
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic record with 8+ years of experience in merchandising, marketing or eCommerce for top-tier consumer brands. MBA a plus