To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Frederick, MD
- Joshua Clark
- Phone: 717 207 9368
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Assistant Store Manager
The Carlisle Group • Frederick, MD
Posted 28 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
The Carlisle Group has been retained to search for an Assistant Store Manager to help manage the operations of a strong natural foods cooperative building a new store in Frederick, Maryland. This unique organization offers the opportunity to work with a group of caring individuals committed to building a prosperous, just, and vibrant local food economy, connecting consumers with local food sources. This organization has been growing steadily in Frederick since 1974.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures a strong management presence in store at all times (including coverage for department managers due to absence or operating needs) and during special events.
- Coordinates and oversees the efficient progress and completion of maintenance projects throughout the store; directs staff associated with such projects.
- Acts as direct supervisor of building maintenance associates and the direct manager of Grocery and Wellness managers.
- Implements and maintains storewide facility maintenance schedules.
- Maintains professional relationships with repair and maintenance vendors.
- Maintains compliance with, and responds to requests from, the Health Department or other State agencies.
- Participates in regular department inventories and enhancements to overall system.
- Reviews financial reports of department performance (with respect to sales growth, labor, margin, and turns) and takes corrective action as needed.
- Participates in the development of the Annual Business Plan and the operating and capital budgets for Grocery and Wellness.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of department layouts and product locations for sales volume, aesthetics, and shopping and stocking efficiency.
- In coordination with HR Manager, supervises significant personnel actions in Grocery or Wellness.
- Keeps Grocery and Wellness staff informed of storewide news, policy/procedural changes, and organizes department meetings.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that essential equipment and supplies are available for operations.
- Regularly facilitates and participates in meetings for Grocery and Wellness management. Ensures a process exists for regular Grocery and Wellness department meetings.
- Participates in department, storewide, and other meetings, including Board Meetings, when requested.
- Keeps abreast of, tactfully upholds, and explains reasons for co-op policies and procedures.
- Ensures effective, respectful communication within and between Grocery and Wellness.
- Guides product additions and deletions, following merchandising standards and Board policies.
- In coordination with File Support Maintenance and Marketing, ensures that promotional signage is accurate, up-to-date and follows the co-op’s established format.
- Stays abreast of developments in the natural products industry and product selection by attending trade shows, reading trade publications, etc.
- Maintains an awareness of new and existing competitors’ promotions and price points, performing periodic comparisons of product selection and pricing with competitors.
- Ensures up-to-date product information is provided for newsletters, annual reports, and other internally produced publications.
- Works with Grocery and Wellness managers to correct and improve customer service, and thereby also reduce costs associated with delivering poor service.
- Participates in establishing goals and monitoring systems for the delivery of consistently excellent customer service.
- Ensures that adequate Grocery and Wellness staffing is available to handle demands (filling in, when necessary) without impacting the consistent provision of excellent customer service.
- Models providing excellent customer service internally and externally and enforces related policies in staff.
- Models resolving both internal and external complaints gracefully, tactfully, and efficiently, and enforces related policies in staff.
- Models a welcoming and presentable appearance by remaining neat, clean, and well-groomed throughout the workday, adhering to the dress code, and greeting customers and staff in a friendly manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a retail management position.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience and familiarity with natural foods.
- Supports the co-op’s core values and aligns with the Co-op Code of Conduct.
- Adapts readily based on evolving co-op needs or in response to feedback.
- Maintains composure in highly stressful or adverse situations.
- Computer proficiency, familiarity with MS Office Suite, and experience with POS and receiving systems preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Flexibility to work any shift, including mornings, middays, evenings, weekends.
- Ability to work in varying temperatures (approximately 20°F – 95°F).
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods at a time.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, kneel, twist, and climb.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unassisted.
- Consistent and reliable access to transportation.