The Network Engineer is responsible for network design related to products and services for our customers as part of a team. This includes the physical and logical design of the network components in multi-tenant data centers. These components include (but are not limited to) heavy IP design, Cisco switching, Cisco routing, F5 load-balancing, and route selection systems as well as establishing network fail-over capabilities between components. This includes both in-house and telecommunication provided capabilities. Knowledgeable of NAT schemes is a must. The engineer must provide detailed schematics of their design and work with other engineers to provide an overall topology.
Responsible for participating in technology decisions along with other Senior Engineers as they relate to the overall network architecture and associated technologies. This includes (but is not limited to) the IP design & possibly creating schemes to resolve IP & route conflicts, switching, routing protocols, load-balancing and route selection technologies that may include VRF and policy-based routing, policy-based load-balancing, etc.
The applicant must be able to work with other teams such as System Architects, System Administrators, Security Teams, and hardware support groups.
Responsible for making solid design recommendations on subjects that include redundancy, diversity, failover technologies, and expandability as it relates to the network architecture, as well as providing direction and recommendations concerning touch-points. This may also include establishing test criteria and validating the technology and/or product. Once technology selections have been made, the engineer is responsible for testing, deployment, as well as training operations personnel as part of a turn-over.
All designs, technology selections, etc. must be properly documented by the engineer with the help of a technical writer.
The position may require a small percentage of travel. Some work by the team is required to be performed during our established Sunday or daily early morning maintenance windows.
Note: Permanent positions will require some occasional on-call support after hours and on weekends.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- The candidate must have extensive experience with IP designs, in a multi-tenant and multi-data center environment with fail-over & high available capabilities.
- He/She must have solid experience with IP designs, NAT, IP routing protocols (EIGRP & BGP), Cisco products, Cisco IOS, and similar operating systems.
- The candidate must have experience with server load-balancing systems including F5 LTM/GTM.
- Candidate must have experience with the Cisco Catalyst switch line of products.
- Experience with the Cisco Nexus switching products.
- Experience with network automation technologies.
- Experience with designing high-available networks, including both system and component level redundancy and the associated technologies to accomplish HA.
- Experience with layer 2 technologies.
- Experience with establishing vendor and/or service selection criteria to make products and other technology-related selections and document the entire process as well as present the selection to a committee of peers.
- Experience with technology or feature testing in a lab and other environments.
- Experience working in a structured environment that requires change control processes in accordance with company policies, for the execution of implementations and changes to the network environment, as it relates to the installation of the data center network.
- Experience with creating, updating, and coordinating the implementation plan for all network related items.
- Experience providing connectivity to systems from one data center to another, involving IP design, NAT scheme, routing scheme, and overall architecture.
- Knowledge of firewall technology also is a must.
- Experience with data center networking in a virtualized server environment (VMWare) is a plus.
- Knowledge of Arista hardware and Arista CloudVision Portal a plus.
Bachelor’s degree highly preferred.
- Experience in managing a multi-tenant data center environment.
- Experience using MS Visio to document network designs.
- Experience with networking virtualized server systems in a large data center environment is a plus.
- Passion to stay current with industry standards, new technologies, and best practices through attending extensive training and performing research.
- Ability to document designs and test plans a plus.
- Minimum 5-6 years experience in support of a complex mission-critical facility and the associated team.
- Other related experience is welcome. Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and/or Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) certifications are a plus.