Specialized Training and Experience:
● Experience working in a traditional commercial kitchen or large scale commissary, managing a crew of 20+ people.
● Assist in driving brand definition through the Fairway customer experience in Fresh Foods Division: leading quality control, product and packaging innovation and food safety practices.
● Maintains a detailed knowledge of all major competitors, global and local food trends.
● Responsible for driving consistent product and range improvement: existing or new recipes, managing the process from concept to customer.
● Development of the key indicators of Fairway’s food quality: freshness, quality ingredients, international influence and unbeatable customer value.
Broad Function and General Objectives:
● Custodian of Quality at Fairway which may extend to departments other than café.
● Recipe maintenance and development including recipe costing.
● Management and alignment of kitchen ingredient purchasing: cost and quality.
● Accountable for theoretical cost of goods (gross profit) for all items produced.
● Accountable for kitchen profitability measured by actual ingredient usage vs model ingredient usage as per recipes
● Accountable for production satellite kitchen(s) compliance to NYS Dept. of Agriculture and Markets.
● Employee management
Skills and Qualifications:
Candidates who apply for the Chef de Cuisine position must possess the following skills:
● Degree in Culinary Arts from a recognized Culinary School
● Minimum of 6 years working in a restaurant and/or food service industry
● Valid Food Safety Certificate
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office
● Excellent organizational skills & attention to detail
● Ability to prioritize tasks, multi-task, balance friendliness with efficiency, and maintain focus
● Effective communication skills and ability to read, write and comprehend English
● Meet physical demands required for the position.
Employee Development and Training:
● Participate in hiring of new cooks/kitchen supervisors.
● Skills training, development and counsel of all cooks in a manner which builds and sustains a high performing team and minimizes turn over.
● Communicate kitchen goals of creativity, quality and trend leadership.
● Establish and maintain a positive work environment for all employees.
● Assists and supervises kitchen team members ensuring compliance to sanitation and safety standards and expectations
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
● Frequent motions such as grabbing, reaching, pushing, pulling, bending, kneeling, and crouching in order to retrieve and/or replenish merchandise and/or cooking equipment
● Lifting up to 50lbs.
● Standing for 4-6 hours at a time without a break