The Enterprise Network Support Specialist I works independently or in teams and leverages technical knowledge, expertise, and systems analysis techniques and procedures to make proper decisions in regards to the proper management, upkeep, monitoring, testing, problem troubleshooting, providing advice and recommendations of the enterprise’s computer network, phone network, video networks, and internet. The Specialist consults with users to determine system requirements in regards to items such as hardware, software, or system functional specifications. The Specialist works to procure appropriate hardware and software components and installs, and specifies networking equipment and software, loads and configures equipment, and ensures that they work on the networks. The Specialist is responsible for creating and updating documentation such as policies, procedures, technical configurations, Technology Recovery Plans (TRPs), reports, Change Control, and customer facing documents.
The Specialist ensures that telecommunications contracts are properly executed and that the provider adheres to terms and conditions of the agreements. The person in this role provides support services for Headquarters, hospitals and members of the Boards of Trustees and Directors, and provides tier 3 support for other teams within the IS Department and hospitals.
Shriners Hospitals for Children is an EOE/Drug-Free, Smoke-Free Workplace
Hardware and Application Support - 35%
- Works independently or in teams and lever their technical knowledge, expertise, and systems analysis techniques and procedures to make proper decisions in regards to the proper management, upkeep, monitoring, testing, problem troubleshooting, providing advice and recommendations, and etc of the enterprise’s computer network, phone network, video networks, and internet. Individual consults with users to determine system requirements in regards to items such as hardware, software, or system functional specifications. Ability to work independently or in teams in the design and implementation of network hardware and software configurations and upgrades, works to procure appropriate hardware and software components and installs. Specifies networking equipment and software, loads and configures equipment, and ensures that they work on the networks. Install, configure and maintain Cisco routers, multi-layer switches, access points, and Cisco based wireless controllers. Implement and support existing and new MPLS, IP, VPN, DSL and wireless network infrastructures. Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot a Cisco VPN appliance. Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot Point to Point IPSEC VPN Tunnels. Monitor and manage application-based firewalls, including implementing and enforcing existing and self-designed security, compliance, and policies measures. Design, plan, implement, and troubleshoot QOS on routers and network switch configurations in a multiple MPLS networked environment for video presentations. Manage maintain and configure Cisco VOIP phone system which includes all aspects of the carrier connectivity. Network Support Specialist may also be involved in support of special projects such as the SHC telemedicine, PACS and Network Access Control initiatives.
Customer Support (HQ and Hospitals) - 30%
- This position provides support services for Headquarters, hospitals and members of the Boards of Trustees and Directors. Provides tier 3 support for other teams within the IS Department and hospitals. Network Support Specialist may also be involved in support of special projects such as the SHC telemedicine and PACS initiatives. Duties include On Call rotation for after hours and weekend support.
Documentation, Monitoring & Reporting - 20%
- Establish and maintain general policies, procedures, technical configurations, Technology Recovery Plans (TRPs), reports, Change Control, customer facing documents, network guidelines and procedures for router, phone (Analog/VoIP), and switch configuration, as well as, standards for network equipment and procedures for deployment,. Proactively monitor and manage network health and performance using various monitoring / diagnostic tools and troubleshooting techniques. Maintain and troubleshoot LAN (Local Area Networks), WAN (Wide Area Network), and Internet optimization, proxy, and content caching. Develop, maintain and document training materials as necessary. The position requires proficient and effective communication of the status of projects, issues, and problems to end users, management, and others. The position requires proficient problem-solving skills. Candidate must possess the skills to document any and all network configurations, changes, policies, and procedures. Candidate should have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
Product/Vendor Evaluation & Recommendation- 5%
- Provide systematic evaluation, recommendation and/or selection of items such as vendors and their products including hardware, software packages, network monitoring tools, communications products, consulting services, etc. Techniques used include side-by-side weighted assessments, price-performance analyses, cost- benefit analyses, etc. Will often be required to participate on a selection committee acting as technical advisor.
Other Responsibilities - 10%
- Security asset management and tracking
- Ensure appropriate software licensing
- Work with third parties to implement and support packaged solutions as necessary
- Coordinate activities
- Plan, install, configure, test, tune, maintain, monitors and upgrade equipment configurations
- Monitor local and remote hardware and software
- Ensure that physical and logical security of equipment and networks is maintained
THE QUALIFIED CANDIDATE WILL HAVE EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- 5 years of related work experience preferred
- Epic or Cerner EMR experience a plus
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED/PREFERRED:
- High School Diploma / GED required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent years of related work experience may be substituted for a degree
- CCNA certification or better preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people; good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with managers, staff members, and vendors
- Experienced with Cisco IOS required
- Experienced in AVAYA and Cisco phone systems required
- Experienced with Watchguard, Cisco and Microsoft security products preferred
- Experienced with Microsoft Office suite required
- Experienced with Microsoft XP, and Windows 7 operating systems required Solarwinds network monitoring preferred
- Experience with Cisco wireless preferred
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications preferred
Current full Covid vaccination status required
- Cisco Is
- Ms Office Suite
- Network Support