STG International is seeking qualified candidates for the Dental Assistant position to work full-time providing health care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
- Receives and schedules patients for treatment in dental clinic.
- Obtains and records information related to medical history of patient; routes patients for medical tests and services when required.
- Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative condition.
- Orders and stores dental supplies.
- Cleans and sterilizes materials, instruments and equipment. Prepares sterile trays for a wide variety of surgieal procedures.
- Makes preparations for oral surgery performed in the dental clinic. Sets up instruments, equipment and materials or assures that they are present and properly arranged in accordance with requirements for sterility.
- Sanitizes patient's face and drapes patient with sterile sheet and towels.
- Observes patient for signs of adverse reaction to treatment. Assists in monitoring patient by noting vital signs.
- Adheres to necessary aseptic precautions throughout treatment.
- Following surgery, irrigates surgical site, prepares surgical dressings, and removes contaminated instruments and materials using precautionary procedures.
- Packages tissue specimens and routes to pathological laboratory.
- Changes and removes surgical dressings and removes sutures as directed.
- Provides chair-side assistance in general dentistry when required, anticipating dentist's need for various instruments, materials and services.
- Relays to patient instructions from dentist for all types of post treatment care including specialized instructions.
- Records treatment and examination information on patient records, prepares consent forms for surgery and anesthesia, prepares prescriptions for signature of dentist.
- Operates dental X-ray equipment to take intra-and extra-oral radiographs.
- Develops and finishes film.
- Takes preliminary impressions, pours and trims models from impressions, constructs base plates and bite rims.
Physical Demands: Work requires walking, standing, bending, and some lifting, for example to assist patients out of wheelchairs.
- Knowledge of broad Dentistry functions (e.g diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and emergency care).
- Knowledge of American Dental Association and Center for Disease Control and Prevention standards regarding dental care and related issues.
- Abilities: To perform four-handed dentistry, must have good finger dexterity and arm-hand steadiness, ability to work with persons from a wide diversity of ethnic and social backgrounds, ability to work with other health care providers from a variety of disciplines.
- Registered Dental Assistants preferred. If not registered, must be a Certified Dental Assistant from a dental assisting program.
- X-ray certification is required per state board regulations.
- Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) certification preferred but not required.
- CPR/BLS certification
- Information Technology: Minimal requirement is a basic level of experience in working with office technology including Microsoft Office products.
- Work requires walking, standing, bending, and some lifting (objects greater than 30lbs).
- Required to perform CPR standing or kneeling.
- Must be able to assist patients in and out of wheelchairs.
- The work may necessitate some physical characteristics that will be required when responding to an emergency situation, such as running short distances, prolonged standing and working in an austere environment.