Principle Database Engineer,
It is vital to the mission of the ERO Enterprise that NERC provide database systems in a highly secure and performant manner, through which data can be reliably and securely solutioned to customers. The Database Engineer (DBE) is challenged to work with architecture, application development and operations to help achieve a state-of-the-art environment that meets current and future business objectives, and to design and implement utilities to assist in the areas of integrations, master data management and analytics.
The Database Engineer (DBE) is responsible for becoming a subject matter expert on our data and its capabilities, having a high-touch experience working with internal customers on a daily basis. This involves working within a project-focused environment to extract business and technical requirements; coordinating with business leads, product owners and 3rd party vendors to manage operations, deployments and to support new functionality; and understanding our operational and strategic objectives and how they are achieved through the management and analysis of the data.
A qualified candidate will possess deep technical skills in a number of data-centric areas, with the expectation that these skills will be applied directly and/or a managerial fashion.
● Ability to design and develop analytical models based on business needs, utilizing both traditional data warehousing techniques and solutions focused on user empowerment.
● Ability to design and implement complex integrations and orchestrate within the enterprise to support master data integrity, application data needs, and analytics.
● Adept at providing technical support for the NERC database environment including overseeing the creation and organization of the databases and assessment and implementation of new technologies, including encryption, disaster recovery, and incident-response.
● Provides leadership during the development and enhancement of production applications, including working with development, technical support and operations during the design, creation and implementation of applications
● Develops and implement a methodology for the ongoing assessment of performance and security of the enterprise data environment, ensuring a high-secured, highly-resilient environment.
● Ability to develop complex logic (advanced SQL, triggers, functions, etc.), in support of application and integrations requirements.
This position reports to the Director Enterprise Architecture.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Be familiar with and adhere to Information Technology Security Policies and procedures.
● Own the management of a complex, highly-secure production database environment.
● Understand and architect master data management strategies governed by the strategic needs of the business as defined by policy and process.
● Coordinate with other managers to integrate with projects, applications and/or initiatives.
● Provide database and SQL Tuning expertise through recommendations to application developers, vendors and other core teams
● Manage the implementation of vendor-led solutions into the environment, including transformations, migrations and integration of new to existing data.
● Oversee SQL Server database capacity planning and performance monitoring the storage environments for the SQL Server databases, including planning for additional storage, maintaining optimal sizing, monitoring space, and providing growth statistics.
● Oversee and execute SQL Server backup and recovery policies, and maintain integrity and reliability of access to information.
● Troubleshoot database issues including collecting information through traces and other logging facilities
● Knowledge of SQL Server tools (Profiler, DTA, SSMS, SAC, SSCM, PerfMon, DMVs, and system sprocs).
● Provides architectural/database technical expertise to team concerning methods, procedures, and standards to be used during design and development phases.
● Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
● BS degree from accredited university required
● At least 10 years working in database administration, engineering and solution delivery
● At least 2 years managing a highly secure, regulated environment with strong understanding of administration, including business continuity, availability and recoverability, with focus on securing environments
● At least 5 years’ experience working in the MS Data Stack (SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS)
● 5+ years SQL Development – ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Code and design (stored procedures, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints), and experience in creating database architecture with associated schemas as part of a software design process.
● At least 3 years of working in a data analytics environment, including experience in developing and distributing analytical models.
● Extended, continuous experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, availability / connectivity, replication issues, security issues, etc.
● Advanced understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
● Good interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
● Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, team-oriented, collaborative environment, playing multiple roles on any given work day.
● Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language with solid technical documentation skills
● Must be well-organized, responsible, work effectively in a project management framework.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive information.
● Outstanding customer service skills via phone, e-mail and in-person.
● Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
● Background check will be conducted prior to employment
● In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire
● Minimal travel necessary: Passport required for North American (Canada) travel
● This position has been classified as exempt
● Job is located in Atlanta, Georgia
● Required participation in 24x7 on-call rotation.
Principal Data Base Administrator