The Benefits Specialist is responsible for the administration of plans and programs which fall under the umbrella of the Total Rewards function and are applicable to an Account’s employees. As a member of the Account’s HR Support Team and as a Subject Matter Expert, the incumbent will help drive benefits initiatives on the Account level to ensure customer and employee satisfaction. As a member of Flagship’s Total Rewards Team, act as a liaison with the Account’s HR Support Team by facilitating manager, HR representative and employee education, communication, etc. when implementing and managing Flagship plans, programs, policies and procedures at the Account level.
1. Provide subject matter expertise for HR representatives around the country. Assist in the resolution of employee benefits and compensation issues and communicate such resolutions to employees either verbally or in writing. Keep a pulse on employees’ perspectives, opinions, etc. and share with HR leaders regularly to facilitate the proactive management of Total Rewards programs.
2. Establish effective working relationships within the Account (i.e. senior management as well as every member of the Account HR Support Team) and within Flagship (i.e. Manager, Union Compensation and Benefits). Assist Account HR representatives through the on boarding and termination processes as necessary.
3. Facilitate the annual open enrollment process across the Account. Hold open enrollment meetings and webinars to ensure employees understand the benefits, their options, deadlines, etc. and ensure employees complete their elections timely.
4. As a member of Flagship’s Total Rewards team, share in the responsibility of administering commuter benefits retirement/savings plans, health and welfare plans, etc. Respond to employee requests and escalated issues. Provide support to the team to help ensure benefit plan compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
5. Provide guidance and direction to managers and employees relative to Total Rewards business processes and transactions in Workday. Similarly, utilize access to benefit vendor systems in the administration of plans, programs, etc. and generate reports for management’s use or to audit data for accuracy.
6. Administer Leaves of Absence (LOA) including related communication. Determine eligibility for FMLA, STD/LTD. Guide employees and managers through the LOA process and legal requirements in alignment with Federal and State regulations. Coordinate communications between the employee, manager, and payroll to ensure smooth transition to, through and back from LOA. Maintain confidential leave documents.
7. Assist the Director of Total Rewards on special projects as necessary.
Knowledge and Skills
1. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with employees at all levels of the organization as well as external business partners. Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills. Also, public speaking/presentation skills including the ability to know and cater to the audience.
3. Adaptable style, viewing value through the customer’s eyes and promoting a strong customer service focus.
4. Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and comprehensive experience with HRIS systems – preferably Workday.
5. Strong process orientation, analytical and problem-solving skills including the ability to be agile when approaching problems and to seek best practice resolutions.
6. Demonstrated commitment to completing assigned responsibilities and delivering accurate results with a high sense of urgency.
7. Ability to maintain confidential information.
8. Bilingual (Spanish/English) is preferred!
Education and Work Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business or Human Resources or equivalent education and/or experience.
2. Minimum of 5 years of Benefits Administration work experience
1. Small-to-large office environment
2. Fast paced office environment.
3. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
4. Exposed to a combination of normal office type environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear. Physical requirements include stooping, standing, climbing and occasionally lifting of a minimum of 40 lbs. of office or facilities equipment.
Under The Americans with Disabilities Act reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Authorized to work in the U.S.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.