A Dietary Aide is to provide assistance in all dietary functions as directed/instructed, in accordance with current applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations, our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Dietary Manager or Kitchen Supervisor, to assure that quality food service is provided at all times.
● Must possess, as a minimum, a high school diploma.
● On-the-job training is provided.
● Must be able to read, write and speak the English language.
● Possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
● Possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, etc.
● Must be able to follow oral and written instructions.
● Must have patience, cheerful disposition, enthusiasm, and caring attitude, with ability to deal tactfully and work harmoniously with personnel, physicians, nurses, attendants, residents, administration, and general public.
● Maintain the care and use of supplies, equipment, and appearance of work areas, regular inspection of food service areas for sanitation, order, safety and proper performance of assigned duties.
● Must have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as be willing to handle residents based on whatever maturity level they are currently functioning.
● Possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing training practices.
● Works in well-lighted/ventilated work areas, as well as throughout the nursing service area to include resident’s rooms.
● Sitting, standing, bending, lifting and moving intermittently during working hours.
● Subject to frequent interruptions.
● Involved with residents, family members, personnel, visitors, government agencies/personnel, etc., under all conditions/circumstances.
● Subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, etc.
● Communicates with the medical staff, nursing personnel, and other department supervisors.
● Willingness to work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
● Attend and participate in continuing educational programs.
● Subjects to falls, burns from equipment, infectious diseases, substances, odors, etc., throughout the work day.
● May be exposed to heat/cold temperatures in kitchen/storage area.
● Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, stir, and move intermittently throughout the work day.
● Must be able to speak the English language in an understandable manner.
● Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
● Must possess sight/hearing senses, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
● Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with personnel, and support agencies.
● Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
● Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
● May be required to lift equipment, supplies, etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Listed below is an outline of the major duties and responsibilities that you will be required to perform. As the Dietary Aide, you are delegated the authority, responsibility and accountability to carry out your assigned duties.
Even though your job description is broad, every effort has been made to make this outline as complete as possible. HOWEVER, we must emphasize that you will be required to perform other related duties and activities as determined by the Administration of The facility.
● Prepare food, etc., in accordance with sanitary regulations, as well as our established policies and procedures.
● Develop and maintain a good working rapport with department personnel, as well as other departments within the facility to assure that food service can be properly maintained to meet the needs of the residents.
● Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the department.
● Assure that safety regulations are followed at all times by all personnel.
● Serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
● Assist in serving meals and ensure they are served in a timely manner.
● Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
● Participate and assist in departmental studies and projects as assigned or that may become necessary.
● Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of all pertinent resident care information to assure resident rights are protected.
● Work with the facility’s Dietician, Dietary Manager, Head Cook, and Kitchen Supervisor as necessary and implement recommended changes as required.
● Assure that established Infection Control policies and procedures are followed by all department personnel as required.
● Review complaints and grievances and make necessary oral/written reports to the Kitchen Supervisor.
● Assure that food and supplies for next meal are readily available.
● Make only authorized substitutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES CONTINUED
● Assist in inventorying and storing in-coming food, supplies, etc., as necessary.
● Assist in daily/scheduled cleaning duties, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
● Assure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies.
● Attend; participate in workshops, seminars, etc, as directed
● Assure that the department is maintained in a clean and safe manner by assuring that necessary equipment and supplies are maintained to perform such duties/services.
● Report all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Kitchen Supervisor immediately.
● Report all accident/incidents as established by department policies.
● Assist in maintaining the dietary department in a safe and sanitary manner.
● Assist in maintaining food storage areas in a clean and properly arranged manner at all times.
● Assist in food preparation of special meals for parties, etc.
● Clean work tables, meat blocks, refrigerator/freezers, stove, deep fryer, chopper/slicer, etc.
● Sweep and mop floors as directed.
● Carry soiled utensils, etc., to wash area.
● Return clean utensils to proper storage area.
● Wash and clean utensils, dishes as directed.
● Carry out garbage and keep work area clean, dry and free of hazardous equipment, supplies, etc.
● Set up meal trays, food carts, dining room, etc., as instructed.
● Assist cook in preparing meals, as directed.
● Distribute and collect menus as necessary.
● Obtain food and supplies for next meal.
● Assist in checking diet trays before distribution.
● Deliver food carts, trays, etc., to designated areas.
● Serve food in dining room as instructed.
● Perform dishwashing/cleaning procedures. Assure that utensils, etc., are readily available for next meal.
● Remove food trays from carts, dining rooms, etc., and take to dish washing area.
● Prepare and deliver snacks, etc., as instructed and return unused items to kitchen and store properly
● Assist in establishing food service production line, etc., to assure that meals are prepared on time.
● Process diet changes and new diets as received from nursing service.
● Ensure that all necessary dietary restorative equipment is cleaned and prepared prior to meals
● Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Administration of The facility.
● Ensures that the restorative program personnel has the necessary adaptive equipment clean, sanitized, available for all meals and other nourishment times for each resident