Signature Health Inc. is a non-profit healthcare agency whose mission is to put good health within reach of all of our community members through comprehensive mental health, medical, and support services essential for optimizing the well-being of mind and body. Serving patients in Lake, Ashtabula and Cuyahoga counties, we are committed to increasing access to a continuum of care while integrating behavioral and physical health well-being. If you are passionate about making a difference then we want to talk to you. We offer employees a dynamic, collaborative work environment along with a comprehensive range of benefit selections to support your total wellness, including several 100% employer paid benefits.
The school based counselor will provide group counseling and day treatment services to students who have been placed in a non-traditional school program due to emotional and behavioral needs. Under the supervision of the Office Director, Clinical Director, and Clinical supervisor, the counselor will work side by side with special education staff in a day treatment, highly structured classroom. This is a highly collaborative model requiring daily collaboration with school staff.
- Conduct diagnostic assessments for new students
- Work in collaboration with teaching staff in the classroom milieu, providing group therapy and educational support throughout the school day
- Conduct individual therapy as needed
- May conduct family therapy as appropriate
- Participate in multidisciplinary school team meetings; including MFE and IEP meetings
- Act as an advocate/liaison for client and parents with school and other community partners/agencies
- Provide training to school staff and community partners as needed
- Assist clients in learning and utilizing behavior and feeling management in the school setting
- Assist parents in implementing effective parenting interventions
- Collaborate with internal and external team members
- Maintain client charting in accordance with Medicaid, CARF, ODMHAS, and professional standards
- Participate in all assigned staff meetings and staff development programs
- Maintain clear communication with referral sources or designated liaison person
- Maintain clients’ rights and confidentially
- Participate in all Quality Assurance and Utilization Review activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain records, timesheets, agency forms, as necessary
- Participate in staff training, meetings, conferences, academic course work, etc., as appropriate
Minimum Job Requirements:
- LPC, LPCC, LSW or LISW required
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required
- Undergraduate Degree in social services field, Masters Degree strongly preferred
- Possess an understanding of child and adolescent development, parenting, and family systems
- Experience working with children and adolescents with serious behavioral health issues, including trauma which is preferred.
- Experience working with Day Treatment programs is desirable
- This position follows school day schedule, but may involve occasional after school or evening hours in response to school and client need
- Ability to adapt and consistently work in all types of environments
- Ability to assess situations and frequently communicate effectively with all types of people both in writing and orally
- Strong attention to detail
- Cultural knowledge of behavioral health. Possess a working knowledge of mental health, substance use disorders and treatment, group dynamics
- Honesty, personal responsibility and adherence to professional values
- Acts to understand and safeguard the welfare of others
- Identifies ethical dilemmas effectively
- Actively consults with supervisor to act upon ethical and legal aspects of agency
- Strong attention to detail
- Establish and maintain meaningful, effective, professional relationships with the client(s).
- Exemplify self-discipline and self-awareness.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate respect and professionalism of other staff, clients, and other professionals
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Dexterity sufficient to operate a PC and other office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of standing, walking or sitting.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 25 pounds.
- Regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk and listen both in person and while using the phone for extended periods.
Licensed Professional Counselor (Lpc)