Medical or Surgery Scheduler Job description
We are looking for a scheduler to join our team! Under general supervision of the scheduling manager and according to physician's protocols, position is responsible for the physician's clinic and surgery schedule. Must have experience in clinic and surgery scheduling and have the ability to coordinate schedules of multiple resources. Position is very fast paced. Candidate must be a critical thinker, active team member and have the ability to multi task and prioritize assigned duties.
Must have 2-3 years medical or surgery scheduling experience working with multiple providers and making 200+ calls per day.
Scheduling Duties and Responsibilities:
* Answer incoming calls to triage and schedule appointments for physicians based on approved protocols.
* Intake all patient's demographic and insurance information to register them in the system accurately.
* Answer patient's questions about appointment and communicate information about new patient paperwork and directions to clinic.
* Responsible for checking voicemails and entering them into a spreadsheet to call back same day or within 24 hours.
* Make outgoing calls to patients who missed or canceled appointment and to reschedule as needed. Track these patients in spreadsheet and communicate information to insurance on patient's that missed appointments.
* Excellent communication with other schedulers to ensure that all calls are being returned in a timely manner and voicemails are checked frequently
* Coordinate with physician and medical assistant to schedule a patient's surgery
* Responsible for contacting hospital or surgery center to make reservations for patient's surgery based on physicians specifications
* Coordinate anesthesia for surgery
* Communicate with primary care offices to obtain surgery medical clearances and enter information into patient chart
* Coordinate with vendor reps or surgical devices/implants for patients surgical needs
* Provide patient with education about procedure and pre/post op instructions including scheduling them for joint/cuff camp and answering any questions they may have
* Coordinate with the insurance representative to obtain pre-authorizations and estimates for patients cost of surgery
* Communicate with the rep to get patient setup for any medical equipment they may require
* Create surgical packets that include: patients chart notes, questionnaires, medication lists, medical clearance, imaging reports, and any OP notes from previous surgeries
* Responsible for sending all patient paperwork to hospital or surgery center including: patient demographics, insurance and driver's license, and surgical reservation/order forms
* Send daily recaps to surgeon about appointment scheduling, surgeries scheduled/canceled, and appointment availability
* Perform verification on the physicians schedule in advance including: checking that each appointment type is correct and verifying information through past encounter forms, ensuring there are no gaps or overbooks in the physicians schedule unless approved and documented, and communicating clinic start time to the physician by text or email day before clinic
* Updates system and Outlook for any changes or additions to schedule
* Accurately updates patient information in the practice management system and EMR
* Ensures that cancelled appointments and surgeries are communicated by phone and email to all involved parties