What We Are Looking For
NCU is currently seeking a dynamic individual to become part of our Accounting team as a Staff Accountant.
This position will be responsible for managing the day-to-day accounts payable and month-end close process, maintaining process and procedural manuals as well as providing support to leadership within the Accounting team. Key functions will include working in the general ledger and procurement systems, performing general ledger accounting and preparing account reconciliations, ensuring accuracy and compliance of accounting records and files and assisting in process improvements.
- Audit invoices for accuracy, general ledger coding, and proper invoice approvals
- Research, track and resolve problems with transactions or accounting records
- Input invoices into the accounting system in an accurate and timely manner
- Manage day-to-day workflow process and maintenance of procurement system
- Maintain accounting records in an organized fashion through electronic filing or as otherwise defined
- Process check requests for payment (including payroll and employee expense reports)
- Prepare and process payment runs for checks, EFT and wire batches
- Prepare reconciliation of credit card accounts and statements
- Assists in monthly closings and annual audit, including account reconciliations and ensuring adequacy of accruals
- Maintain accurate and current accounts payable aging reports, records and files
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and prepare analysis, as required
- Establish and build relationships with internal and external customers
- Responsible for the ownership of accounts payable policies and procedures; ensure adherence to and communicate throughout the organization
- Responsible for 1099 compliance and reporting as well as other regulatory filings as assigned
- Identify and drive initiatives designed to increase the efficiency, effectiveness and internal control of the accounts payable business process
- Recommend and implement changes to improve accounting systems, productivity, accuracy, and efficiency through execution and support for special projects as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exemplary customer service skills with the ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers
- Exposure to automated accounting systems and electronic processes; Microsoft Great Plains experience preferred
- Possess a high degree of initiative, self-motivation, and resourcefulness to meet deadlines
- Ability to apply principles of logic to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
- Superior organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical, research and problem solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and other applications in the Microsoft Office suite
- Team player who is adaptable in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with focus in Accounting/Finance preferred
- 5 years of accounting experience with a focus in accounts payable preferred; experience in tax reporting and general ledger desirable
- Knowledgeable in the application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience working in an internal and external customer service driven environment
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience working in a technology-driven enterprise preferred
- All skills, abilities and education will be considered for minimum qualifications
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
NCU will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Who We Are
Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally-relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university. As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in healthcare and marriage and family therapy. NCU boasts a one-to-one learning model—one student is paired with one professor in each course—to create a more personalized, individual experience for students enhanced by their professors’ real-world experience. NCU professors all hold doctoral degrees, and none of our programs have residency requirements, affording students access to NCU programs no matter where they live.
Additionally, with the exception of the Department of Marriage and Family Sciences, within the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, all of NCU’s programs are delivered 100% online.
NCU has its headquarters in San Diego, California and administrative offices in Scottsdale, Arizona, and NCU students, alumni and faculty reside in more than 50 countries. NCU is an excellent choice for professionals around the world who share our passion for excellence. We envision growth trends to continue, and eagerly seek highly-credentialed and enthusiastic individuals to join our team.
Are you ready to take advantage of this exciting opportunity to join a growing team of passionate individuals who work together to help others fulfill their dreams through higher education?