As a Direct Support Staff, you are accountable to the supervisor assigned to the site in which you work. A Direct Support Staff is not authorized to work in excess of 40 hours per week unless directed to do so by supervisory staff. The Direct Support Staff position is relied upon for ethical implementation of services and support. You are delegated the authority, responsibility and accountability necessary to carry out assigned duties and to respond to emergency situations. Supervisory staff is available to you on a 24-hour basis. Since you will be working with people, you must be prepared to effectively deal with emergencies, health-related issues and unexpected interruption of duties. We will ask that you be flexible in routine, daily assignments, site assignments, hours of work and philosophical commitment. Your actions will affect another person’s life, and it is expected that you will be a positive, desirable role model. Since you will be interacting with numerous professionals on a frequent basis, you are expected to represent yourself and the Agency in a positive, professional manner at all times.
- Assists in the development of program goals, based on outcomes listed in the Individual Support Plan.
- Assists as needed with documentation client expenditures and budget development.
- Carries out interventions described in Behavior Plans and Social Emotional Environmental (SEE) Plans.
- Informs supervisor of any changes in an individual, including subtle variances in demeanor, physical and mental health stability, to assure early detection of potential problems.
- Assists individual’s with development of skills necessary to maximize independence.
- Prepares meals or assists individuals with preparing meals according to individual nutrition standards and menus posted at the facility.
- Assists individuals with identification and use of appropriate community resources.
- Supports and assists individuals in carrying out Activities of Daily Living (ADLs).
- Writes a case note for each individual served prior to the end of each shift reflective of actions taken to assist the individual with the accomplishment of program goals. Performs all other documentation requirements in an objective, concise and comprehensive manner.
- Administers medication to individuals served according to doctor’s instructions listed on the Medication Administration Record (MAR).
- Miscellaneous duties and responsibilities as necessary and/or as directed by supervisory staff.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.