West Pierce Fire & Rescue (WPFR) is establishing an eligibility list for Firefighter and Firefighter Paramedic. The 2019 Probationary 1 Firefighter monthly base salary is $5,310 (additional salary DOQ). We anticipate hiring up to 15 positions for 2020.
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification is not required at time of application. All recruits will be required to successfully complete 5-week EMS Academy, 13-week Recruit Academy, Firefighter I, Firefighter II and Hazardous Materials certifications. All candidates without Paramedic certification will attend EMT certification training during the 5-week EMS Academy.
You must apply online at www.westpierce.org.
Candidates with fire service experience may be considered for lateral employment. Requirements are prior work experience as a full-time, paid Firefighter/EMT or Firefighter/Paramedic with primary duties of fire suppression and emergency medical services; serving a municipal fire department, fire district, or fire authority of a similar size and/or complexity. The 2019 lateral monthly base salary range is $6,382 to $6,892 (depending on duration of previous experience).
Candidates with Washington State or National Registry Paramedic certification by December 31, 2019 may be considered for employment as a Firefighter/Paramedic. Personnel assigned to serve in the District’s paramedic program, who receive and maintain valid paramedic certification, shall receive additional duty pay of 12.5% or 15% to the monthly base salaries listed for entry-level and lateral (based on assignment).
· At least 18 years of age
· High school diploma or equivalent
· Ability to read, write and speak English
· Ability to legally operate a vehicle in Washington State
· At time of hire, ability to provide documentation showing authorization to work in United States
· Candidates shall be tobacco free at time of appointment and throughout service
Conditional offers of employment are subject to successful completion of:
· Background investigation to include criminal history and driving record
· Medical examination and drug screening. Candidates will be marijuana free at time of appointment. While on-duty, employees shall not have in their system any substance, which may impair their ability to perform job duties (alcohol, prescription medications, controlled and/or illicit substances).
· Psychological assessment
· Passing grade on the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT). Orientation guides are available at the National Testing Network and Public Safety Testing websites. Costs associated with CPAT will be paid by WPFR. Candidates must pass CPAT by December 31, 2019. Candidates with valid CPAT certification, as completed from January 1, 2019 to the present, will not be required to pass CPAT again. Candidates will be asked to provide CPAT documentation at the Reception stage of testing.
The probationary period shall be inclusive of the EMS and Recruit Academy (18 weeks) and 12 months serving on 24-hour shift schedule. Continued employment is based on successful completion of:
· EMT certification (5 weeks, training and testing provided by WPFR)
· Recruit Academy (13 weeks, provided by WPFR)
· Firefighter I and II, Hazardous Materials Operations certifications (training and testing occurs in Academy)
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org