Title: Senior Cost Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Category: Construction – Cost Management
Reporting to: Office Director
We are looking for dynamic individuals to join our team! With over 20 offices in North America and the Caribbean in addition to over a hundred global offices and over 3,600 staff worldwide, RLB has a truly global reach while still offering a local presence to its clients almost without exception. We are committed to our core services and pride ourselves on our dedication to customer care and leading edge service provision.
RLB is an award-winning international firm, known for providing property and construction consultancy advice at all stages of the construction cycle. Utilizing its many years of experience and professionally trained employees, RLB continues to firmly establish itself as one of the major players in the construction industry throughout the Americas, Africa, Asia, Europe, Middle East and Oceania. Our employees are involved in a variety of projects across a range of sectors, from sports arenas and healthcare to higher education and convention centers.
As a privately held company, we hire the best people, give them exceptional training, and provide extensive opportunities for professional growth while working on exciting projects while providing an excellent compensation and benefits package.
Overview of Role
We are currently recruiting a Senior Cost Manager to join a client-focused team. This is an exciting opportunity for a high-caliber individual to join and strengthen our New York office.
The Senior Cost Manager is responsible for oversight of project cost control from inception to completion and adhering to the company’s quality standards and the client’s satisfaction. Employees in this position will interface with clients, consultants and designers to achieve the project’s goals and ensure that all project activities are consistent with Company policy.
- Acts as lead individual for specific projects
- Review estimates prepared by Estimating Team, prior to supervisor final review
- Manage estimating services for full project by developing project cost plans estimates (relating to construction, fees, direct work and other costs)
- Attend client meetings
- Present estimates to client and project team
- Participate in and present value engineering studies, reconciliations, recommendations, and risk assessments
- Participate in design charrettes and design workshops
- Meeting with vendors to review, validate, and challenge costs, and reviewing estimates by utilizing benchmark data collected from other projects
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management and client
- Advising client on strategies, managing prequalification of vendors, assessing proposals, bids, and bid leveling documents, making final recommendations to the client, attending & chairing bid interviews, and managing appointment process
- Assist with Request for Proposal (RFP) process by preparing documents, releasing RFPs, arranging mid-bid interviews, and creating bid analysis sheets.; draft reports, memos, and letters of recommendation to management and client
- Manage cost reporting by establishing reporting schedule, reviewing & presenting cost reports and forecasts, reviewing project budget & spend forecast with the client, developing & maintaining commercial risk register, and hosting periodic meetings with project team & vendors
- Manage cost control process by reviewing payment applications and liaising with project managers and recommend vendor payments
- Reviews requests for change orders from vendors & making recommendations to client and using dispute prevention/management/resolution procedures to manage payment requisitions, change orders, and contractual disputes
- Manage & monitor invoicing process
- Perform all the duties above through the use/preparation of Cost Estimating Software, Bid Analysis Sheets, and Change Control Forms
- Hold post-contract reviews with the client to establish a lessons learned document
- Develop procedures governing handover of project
- Undertake other cost-related tasks as directed by supervisor
- Assist with training and mentoring others
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a positive proactive approach to the role, and will be committed to delivering customer service excellence, with good commercial results.
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: 4-year college degree in Construction Management, Cost Estimating, Quantity Surveying or equivalent recognized technical qualification.
- Minimum Experience required: 5-10 years’ relevant experience in construction cost management of a variety of building types from new construction to renovation projects. AACE International and/or Certified Cost Professional or RICS membership preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of execution of cost management services; good planning, organization and communication skills essential. Understanding of technical and non-technical documents related to cost management. Knowledge and use of industry-project management software including eBuilder and Aconex an advantage, along with estimating and Microsoft Office software programs.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Indoor office environment. May require work on site location when necessary
- Equipment used includes: computers and standard office machines
- Essential physical tasks include: the ability to work on a computer and the ability to answer and speak on a telephone. May require the use of a ladder on occasion
RLB is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices based on race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.