Title: Facilities Manager
Reports to: Senior Director of Community Resources
Location: Bronx, NY
ABOUT PHIPPS NEIGHBORHOODS
Phipps Neighborhoods is a 47-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing opportunities for children, youth, and families to break the cycle of poverty and achieve long-term self-sufficiency. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success. Our Theory of Change embodies the idea that our education, career development, and community resources are the most critical programs needed in order to systematically address the risk factors associated with poverty. This programming is asset-based, neighborhood-focused, data-driven, culturally competent, and targeted in neighborhoods where we can provide the greatest amount of resources in support of the community.
Phipps Neighborhoods serves approximately 12,000 children, teens and adults in our three program areas. Our cradle to college and career approach supports programs for youth including Pre-Kindergarten services, community schools, after school programs, and College Access counselors; civic engagement and education including the Bronx Youth Community Action Team and Arches Transformative Mentoring Program; career development training such as Career Network: Healthcare, Transfer to Career, and Summer Youth Employment; and resources for the community like Healthy Families programs, financial literacy and counseling, adult education classes, and supportive housing for young people aging out of foster care. We work closely with stakeholders including government, businesses, philanthropic partners, and other community partners to employ a Collective Impact model, a structured approach toward creating shared goals to achieve significant and lasting social change and help individuals thrive in every aspect of their lives.
The Facilities Manager will oversee the optimal operation of all program locations with the goal of ensuring that residents and staff are provided with a safe and successful working environment. The Facilities Manager is responsible for providing effective management of the physical maintenance of PN program facilities to maintain compliance with all building codes, city contract guidelines and all agency policies and procedures. She or he will also serve as a liaison between Phipps Houses property management, NYCHA (where applicable) and Phipps Neighborhoods Senior Directors.
The Facilities Manager will be an organized individual who takes ownership over their properties. She or he will be able to foster relationships across our three Divisions, our two organizations – Phipps Houses and Phipps Neighborhoods – and have the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment. Must possess a strong passion for professional growth and the motivation to enact real change and thrive in a collaborative and team-oriented workplace.
- Manages all facilities and operation needs at determined Phipps Neighborhoods facilities including the coordination of building space allocation and layout, communication services and facility expansion
- Communicates effectively between Phipps Houses property management, NYCHA and Phipps Neighborhoods Program Directors, Senior Management, Building Management and Site Directors regarding all building needs
- Responsible for creating and implementing custodial staff schedules, coverage plans and uniform protocol.
- Maintains inventory control for all general supplies, parts and equipment.
- Maintains all required maintenance files.
- Schedules and conducts training sessions and department meetings for custodial staff.
- Attends all required training, in-service and staff meetings.
SAFETY and COMPLIANCE
- Provides constant attention to all life safety issues, ensuring that building emergency plans are developed, maintained, effectively communicated, and tested at all facilities
- Ensures all building maintenance is performed in a manner consistent with local, state, and federal building codes and guidelines, MSDS, OSHA, EPA regulations, fire codes and city contract requirements
- Regularly audits and ensures all facilities are in compliance with building, security, fire, safety, commercial food preparation, and other applicable regulations
- Manages and implements preventive maintenance of facility equipment, including HVAC and office equipment.
- Implements corrective action plans
- Along with PH Management and custodial staff, ensures that the outside of the property is maintained including snow and trash removal.
- Participates in safety committee meetings
- Coordinates with approved contractors and vendors
- Coordinates with PH Management Building Management as necessary for repairs and maintenance of office space
- Prepares and follows approved budget
- Plans budgets and schedules facility modifications, including cost estimates
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situatio
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- An Associate’s Degree or equivalent from a two year college or technical school: or Two years related experience and/or training equivalent combination of education and applicable experience.
- Must be computer literate
- Experience in a managerial role overseeing facilities and operations needs and personnel
- A valid driver’s license from the state of residence
- Solid understanding of technical aspects of plumbing, carpentry, electrical systems, machinery operations, etc.
- Solid understanding of how to perform tasks with chemicals/cleaning products, tools, ladders, and lifts in a safe and effective manner
- Demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of OSHA regulations and standards, building codes, fire and safety, commercial food preparation, and other applicable regulations
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Friendly, curious, and hardworking team player invested in the Bronx, Phipps Neighborhoods’ mission, or social justice causes
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, holidays, and weekends
- Must possess current certifications S-12, S-13 and a Fire Safety Director Certification
Practical And Pragmatic