IT Associate, Level II (Provisional) - Software Engineering
Job ID: 21060
Location: School of Professional Studies
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
I.T. Associates perform moderately complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Associates work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving complex technology problems and serving as a technical resource. They have considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may have supervisory responsibilities.
I.T. Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking to finish or transition into a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education. CUNY SPS was ranked in the top 5% in the Nation in U.S. News & World Report’s list of the 2019 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
Drawing on CUNY's nationally and internationally renowned faculty and practitioners, as well as industry and education partners, the School's programs provide opportunities for personal growth, job mobility, greater civic participation, and new ways to advance knowledge.
The Office of Information Technology provides technology, help-desk, and systems services for all of the School’s online and classroom-based programs, as well as for its administrative operations.
This position will report directly to the Software Development Manager and in addition to the General Duties, will assist with various aspects of the software development process, including but not limited to data collections, technology software evaluations, user guide documentations, programming development, software deployments, and software integrations. Other responsibilities include:
• Analysis of end-user software requirements and create technical and functional requirements specifications.
• Work with the development team to design, adapt, and implement new and existing software solutions to support the staff, faculty and administration of CUNY SPS.
• Develop IT products and apply IT operations standards while introducing systems and processes to ensure compliance.
• Use continuous integration tools to develop application test and deployment pipelines.
• Experience using support databases supporting applications.
• Create technical documents and non-technical user instructional guides for application software.
• Integrate third party application with existing CUNY SPS environment.
• Provide IT professional perspective evaluations on software for other departments.
• Collaborate with technical and non-technical users on software implementation.
• Assist in implementing and maintaining test, deployments, continuous integration, continuous delivery systems, service monitoring solutions, and log analysis tools.
• Complete other duties as assigned by the Software Development Manager.
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. An equivalent of seven years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: seven years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus five years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus three years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This job has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
• Experience in open source application development.
• Experience in ADA and accessibility compliance web design.
• Knowledgeable in Database development and administration.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Strong with operating in Linux and Windows operating systems.
• Strong with SQL Server, MySQL, and MariaDB.
• Knowledgeable in RESTFUL best practices.
• Ability to work effectively with University partners and outside constituents.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Proven ability to carry out complex assignments and adapt to changes situations and priorities.
• Proficient in setting up full stack web applications.
• Strong understanding of application networking, security, and administration.
• Experience in automating application deployment with Vagrant and Salt.
• Proficient in implementing application software in PHP, Python, C#, and ASP.Net.
• Knowledgeable with the QA tools, such as Selenium and other free open source applications.
• Strong understanding of waterfall and agile methodologies.
• Prior academic technology experience in Higher Education setting.
• Excellent presentation skills both oral and written.
• Efficient in time managing project tasks.
• Experience in web development.
• Experience in source control, such as Git, SVN, and CVS.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using Job ID# 21060 or the Title. Select Apply Now and provide the requested information.
September 19, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Java Script (Programming Language)
Php (Scripting Language)
Ajax (Programming Language)