Purpose: An Operations Team Leader is responsible for directing the employees within his or her operations group in order to meet or exceed sales revenue, sales profitability and budgetary objectives.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Execute operational policies and plans in accordance with Ascent Global Logistics’ overall business goals, objectives, philosophy and policies.
- Lead personnel in the development and maintenance of a high performing, customer-focused branch facility (operations, sales and customer service functions)
- Prepare, implement, and manage strategic and operational plans to meet short and long-term objectives and goals
- Implement continuous operational improvement processes designed to achieve operational excellence and defined performance metrics
- Ensure employees are trained, measured, coached and managed in the execution of operational standards and human resource practices
- Prepare timely, accurate management information and reporting as specified and requested by the company policies
- Create environment of respectful, prompt and efficient customer & carrier relations
- Encourage and administer appropriate professional development and training. Administer performance reviews
- Ensure a clean, properly organized, safe, healthy and professional business facility and environment for all personnel
- Foster a safe operating environment by having a strong understanding of DOT regulations, including Hours of Service (HOS)
- Skilled Negotiation of Rates & Services with clients for FTL, LTL, and Intermodal services.
- Response to sales inquiries and providing pricing on transactional/contractual based business as well as corporate pricing proposals
- Ensuring proper follow up and management of all loads by operations staff
- Breaking through internal obstacles that limit growth/service consistent with deliverables.
- Engage both inside sales and outside sales forces to foster both organic growth as well as new client business.
- Using available industry tools and relationship to identify potential customers consistently following up to ensure loads move as expected by customers
Receives guidance with respect to overall objectives; work with operations and within company and department policies and guidelines using independent judgment to achieve assigned objectives.
Qualifications and Requirements: The qualifications and requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Computer / Phone Skills
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint) and Email
- Internal TMS Software
- Internal Phone System
- Ability to effectively present and communicate with other team members and carrier customers
- Knowledge of domestic modes of transportation
- Knowledge of customer contracts and tariffs (accessorials).
- Knowledge of freight classes
- Knowledge of freight bill processing
- Experience in brokerage, forwarding, and/or carrier operations
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other/Additional Job Elements
Include any additional information specific to this position that is not represented elsewhere in this job description (i.e. special requirements, working conditions, non-standard work schedule, etc.).
- Knowledge of company policies
- Ability to manage in a team environment
- Ability to complete special projects as assigned
- Provide afterhours phone coverage and customer service when required
- Ability to work flexible shifts