The Senior Systems Engineer will be an instrumental part of a highly technical team in the management and modernization of an existing IT infrastructure. This is a hands-on position that requires an experienced individual to install, upgrade, patch, and manage software in a Microsoft Hyper-V environment. The systems engineer will work with and troubleshoot server hardware. Additional duties include backups, disaster recovery, updates, and other technology-driven solutions in a fast-paced, multi-site (node) environment.
The selected applicant will:
• Participate in all phases of the software and systems life cycles with an emphasis on system maintenance, configuration, integration, and information assurance.
• Interface with users to determine computer system functional requirements.
• Design, test, and develop systems and components to meet end-user needs.
• Document requirements, designs, test results, and procedures.
• Configure, install, test, and troubleshoot computer network components and equipment.
• Deliver quality performance metrics
• Proactively manage capacity planning of all production hardware servers and storage
• Analyze technical needs, requirements, and state of the server, storage and virtualization infrastructure design, integration, and operations
• Perform regular audits of IT infrastructure to assure optimal performance
• Support LAN’s, WAN’s, network segments, Internet, and Internet Systems
• Lead efforts to configure Firewalls, routers, switches, and VPN’s
• Manage personnel operating an Enterprise service desk.
Working Knowledge of:
- IT Service Management (ITSM)
- NIST and ITIL standards
- Change and Release Management for Software and Hardware
- Incident Management
- Disaster recovery
- Experience with MS SQL based systems/solutions
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, and MS Visio
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions
- Project management experience and an ability to manage multiple IT projects simultaneously, including deadline-sensitive priorities
Preferred Experience with:
- Managing an ERP system, preferably Costpoint
- Novell GroupWise
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate/Engineer (MCSA/MCSE)
- CompTIA Security + or must become 8570/8140 IAT Level II certified within 6 months of start date if not already certified
- DOD Secret clearance or higher
Experience and Skills Required
• Experience in networking and virtualization
• Experience with scripting
• Experience with virtual stacks such as ESX, Amazon Web Service (AWS) or Open Stack
• Experience developing strategic and implementation plans for scalable information systems.
• Experience reverse engineering and re-engineering.
• Experience developing system architecture and design including: Software, Hardware, Communications, Interface requirements.
• Experience in leading systems definition, trade-off and design activities.
• Experience in leading analysis of system requirements and components.
• Experience in performing system audits to ensure intended system functionality, operation, and performance requirements are achieved.
• Experience in system performance analysis.
• Experience in planning the next generation system (modernization).
• Experience providing leadership and vision for system engineering of large-scale systems, major system elements, and/or interfacing systems.
• Experience providing overall system engineering expertise in the architecture, design, development, requirements analysis, data flow, network design and/or implementation, or testing for the program.
• Minimum (5) years of experience in a technical role in projects and programs for Government or Industry customers.
• Capable of quickly learning new technologies and procedures, as well as being willing to train others in procedures mastered as part of implementations
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written, along with the ability to influence and demonstrate confidence in communications with senior level management
• Possess strong leadership, managerial and interpersonal skills
• Cross Functional Team player possessing a strong work ethic
• Flexibility in adjusting and re-prioritizing in order to meet changing needs in a fast-paced work environment
efforts to research and pilot new technology to improve Infrastructure service
• BA/BS Degree in a technical discipline related to the experience requirements as stated herein (such as Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems) with a minimum of two (2) years of experience as an IT/Network Systems Engineer. (or) At least eight (8) years of experience as a Systems Engineer in programs that encompass system architecture, requirements analysis, process execution, and evaluation.