To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Des Plaines, IL
- Human Resources
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Oakton Community College • Des Plaines, IL
Posted 19 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under supervision, provide security functions for the college personnel, buildings and grounds on evenings and 24-hour duty on weekends. Exercise independent judgment regarding unusual events which may occur based on established college policies and procedures.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
● Patrol, inspect, monitor, protect and secure campus buildings and grounds for the prevention of crimes and respond to all emergencies during shift.
● Report potential safety and fire hazards. Working knowledge of fire related equipment.
● Assist with traffic control.
● Receive and respond to complaints, questions, and requests concerning campus security. Take appropriate action, within their capabilities and training, to insure safety and security of people on campus.
● Prepare and write reports on any incidents which occur on duty shift; notify College officials of emergencies as necessary.
● Open and close the buildings, individual offices and classrooms and other rooms; report and lock doors.
● Monitor building and grounds during inclement weather; be familiar with the Facilities winter snow removal plan and report as necessary.
● Certification in required NIMS courses.
● Basic certification in first aid and use of AED equipment.
● Perform other job related duties as assigned.
● High school education or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable abilities can be acquired is necessary.
● One year of related job experience is desirable.
● Must possess a current Illinois PERC card.
● Valid driver's license issued in the United States is preferred.
● Certification in NIMS is preferred.
● Basic certification in first aid and use of AED equipment is preferred.
● Ability to follow established procedures and communicate with a diverse population.
● Ability to patrol on foot.
● Proficient in basic computer skills.
● Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk, hear, use their hands and fingers, handle and operate objects, controls, tools or instruments; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; run, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; taste and smell.
The work may require strenuous physical exertion including to carry, drag, or restrain individuals from 50 to 300 pounds, lift in excess of 50 pounds, and exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Work may require strenuous physical exertion. Work is performed in both office and field settings on a rotating shift schedule in all weather conditions on a year round basis,
Security Guard Position
HOURS: Saturday 10:30 pm - 7:00 am and Sunday 10:30 pm - 7:00 am
SALARY: $18.45 per hour
General supervision is received from the Chief of Police & Emergency Management. Functional supervision is received from a Police Sergeant
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.