To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
9605 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
- Ellen Greenwood
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Director of Finance (Part-time) Rockville, MD
Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB) • Rockville, MD
Posted 2 months ago
Director of Finance (Part-time) Rockville, MD
As our part-time Director of Finance, you will enjoy a flexible schedule while serving as an integral member of our team. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be responsible for developing, monitoring, and evaluating our overall financial strategy with emphasis on bottom line performance. You will apply your strategic leadership and systems expertise to managing and executing the organization’s finance and accounting functions. With a $6 million operating budget and an investment portfolio of $17 million, our finances are sound.
In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of the financial process and procedures including oversight of the financial reporting, budget, and payroll. We will look to you to establish overall financial and operational forecasting and develop and monitor performance metrics. You will also work with our Board Finance Committee to update and maintain investment policies in the best interest of the organization. As we increasingly depend on our online systems, you will take the lead on making sure our systems communicate and integrate accurately and efficiently.
As the largest independent pediatric nursing certification organization in the country, the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB) is the leader in certification for nursing professionals who provide care to children and adolescents. More than 95 percent of all pediatric nursing professionals who seek certification choose the PNCB and in 2018, 94 percent of all PNCB-certified nurses recertified. PNCB promotes optimal outcomes in global pediatric health by providing certification services that validate specialized knowledge and continuing competence in pediatric nursing.
Responsibilities of the Director of Finance
- Research and consult with the CEO on the potential financial impact of business decisions.
- Maintain internal control processes required to meet generally accepted accounting practices.
- Oversee the annual budget process and monthly financial reporting.
- Oversee timely completion, approval, and filing of Form 990 and related tax returns.
- Supervise the accurate completion of bookkeeping tasks such as deposit posting and payables entry.
- Manage financial relationships with banking institutions, consultants, hospitals with contractual agreements, publishers, volunteers, and vendors.
- Negotiate and finalize purchase agreements as needed.
- Work with independent auditors to ensure smooth financial and legal audit processes.
- Maintain oversight of the investment portfolio. Ensure PNCB’s portfolio is in compliance with the board-approved investment policy. Ensure that the organization maintains cash reserves as needed for ongoing operations.
- Review and approve financial expenditures, invoices, and staff credit card use in accordance with policies.
- Submit payroll biweekly with responsibility for all payroll related items, including payroll taxes and benefits.
Qualifications of the Director of Finance
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college. MBA in accounting, finance, or business, or CPA, is preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years of business experience.
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen.
- Experience monitoring an investment portfolio.
- Strong business ethics with a high level of confidentiality, diplomacy, and professionalism.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to translate complex financial concepts for colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and current accounting software.
Attributes of the Director of Finance
- Business savvy. You look beyond the numbers into the deeper cause. You understand how new initiatives affect financials and you can easily explain the rationale.
- Accomplished presenter. You deliver financial information with ease, no matter the audience.
- Approachable. You operate with an open-door policy and welcome questions and ideas. You are known for being easy to talk to.
- Forward-looking. You carefully balance the need for innovation with responsible financial practices. You run the numbers multiple ways and are an effective forecaster.
- Process-oriented. You thrive on efficiency and you simplify systems where possible. You identify and analyze needs and can implement procedures that enhance productivity. You know how to translate strategy into action – you allocate and optimize resources, assign responsibility, manage timelines, reduce risks, and get the project done.
- Supportive. You value the work of your colleagues and you take delight in supporting each of them to be most effective in their roles. You graciously share your expertise to help the team be successful. You recognize that people have different strengths and you appreciate how a team comes together as a cohesive unit.
- Transparent. You are open and honest. You know how and when to ask leadership for support with important issues and you disclose the information your partners need to work through potential solutions with you.
What’s Attractive to the Right Director of Finance Candidate?
- This is a part-time position and we will work together to determine the best schedule. (Although you will have some flexibility and telework opportunities, your core hours will be during our operating hours.)
- Managing a broad portfolio of responsibility, you will have a substantial impact on a core function of our organization.
- You will be a critical member of a collegial team that holds each other accountable for results. We are forward-thinking and will allow you to do innovative long-term planning.
- We are financially strong.
To Apply for the Director of Finance position:
Staffing Advisors has been engaged to find the right candidate and is committed to helping create a diverse work environment for our client. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. This position may require pre-employment screening potentially including a criminal background check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history.