The Electrical Design Engineer is responsible for the design and development of new and existing products. This position also partners with other internal departments in the development and testing of new products, manufacturing support, market research, key account presentation, and field sales support as needed. The right candidate will have strong experience in digital microcontroller design and/or RF circuit design. Responsibilities include working on all aspects of product lifecycle from the development of initial engineering specifications, estimating development time and product end cost, through the development process and transition to production. This position reports to the Engineering Manager.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Essential Functions):
• Work with internal and external engineering resources to develop and optimize PCB layout, component selection, etc., for best performance at the lowest possible cost
• Serve as a significant contributor on electrical aspects of significant development projects.
• Design of moderately complex electronic circuits utilizing a combination of analog, digital, RF and power components and subsystems.
• Review and evaluation of product design through informal and formal design reviews as well as through design verification test plans and reports.
• Coordinate with the design activities of cross-functional groups including mechanical design, quality assurance, customer service, and marketing.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• 2-5 years of related experience in digital hardware design and/or RF design
• PCB layout experience
• Digital hardware design experience with embedded microprocessors and memory technologies
• Application of standard engineering design principles and methodology for research of design options and experimentation to determine potential design feasibility or application.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Must have knowledge of electronic manufacturing processes including SMT assembly
• Excellent project management & communication skills
• Ability to utilize commonly accepted project management tools to assist in the development of, and adherence to a project schedule.
• Must be able to work across all business disciplines, including engineering, operations, marketing, customer service, sales, and management
• Working knowledge of phase-gate new product development processes.
• Self-starter, Acts with integrity, and Inquisitive personality
• Strong computer skills including all Microsoft Office applications
• Experience dealing with regulatory agencies such as UL, CSA, FCC, and NEC preferred, but not required
• Exposure to communications protocols such as BACnet, Lonworks, Zigbee, Bluetooth, etc., preferred, but not required
• Familiar with Altium PCB Design Software preferred, but not required
IDEAL INDUSTRIES is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Printed Circuit Boards Design