Job Title: Business Unit Controller
Location: Small town, Hill Country in Texas
Reports to: Operations Controller &
Executive Vice President of Parent Company's Southwest Division
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Our client, based in Houston, provides direct hire construction, construction management, inspection services, maintenance and repair services related to underground structures, and inspection services related to underground structures. The parent company of our client is a Fortune 500 company based in Houston.
The parent company provides engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services for comprehensive infrastructure needs in the electric, power, and oil and natural gas industries. The successful candidate will be responsible for the accounting operations of this operating unit based in the Texas Hill Country and will work closely with executive management and project operations to support business decision making.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Provide executive level financial reporting and analysis to operating unit executive and project management personnel to promote sound and timely management decision-making including requisite analysis and insight on revenue, project cost, indirect cost, and SG&A trends and variances.
• Responsible for monthly financial close activities including the effective assessment of project margins considering the current project operating conditions.
• Responsible for judgments and estimates relative to revenue recognition and working capital on a wide array of contracts including fixed price (percentage-of-completion method of accounting) and variable price contracts.
• In concert with executive and operational management, lead, prepare, and analyze monthly operating unit financial forecasts including revenue, margin, indirect cost, SG&A, and capital spend projections.
• Active participation in senior management strategy sessions involving commercial considerations for pricing, capital expenditures, and other key operating matters
• Ensure that financial reports are prepared in compliance with company policies and directives, GAAP, and SEC Reporting requirements including preparing and providing required financial information and disclosures to the corporate parent in Houston.
• Assess and modify, as necessary and appropriate, existing procedures and controls with the intent to improve process efficiency and/or effectiveness resulting in improved management decision making.
• Collaborate with operational billing team and shared service accounts payable and payroll teams to ensure seamless information flow for accounting, forecasting, and analysis purposes.
• Manage, report, and analyze working capital metrics primarily focused on timely customer billing and accounts receivable collection.
• Lead the annual financial planning process ensuring that the annual plan reflects company strategic objectives.
• Provide financial and contractual decision-making support for sales and proposals efforts
• Deliver financial analysis and insight into capital investment decisions
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
• Bachelors (or similar) degree in Accounting with approximately 5 - 10 years of progressively responsible operational accounting / financial accounting / management roles
• Business Unit Controller or Financial Controller experience strongly preferred
• CPA strongly preferred
• Construction industry background preferred with significant experience and related interactions with project operations and executive management.
• Understands the nuances of industrial construction and maintenance operations with a focus on providing value-added financial analysis and process efficiency solutions.
• Exhibits an internal and external client first disposition based on close collaboration, frequent communication, and a consulting / analytical mindset
• Strong leadership and communication skills necessary to manage matters which are both directly and indirectly under the candidate’s influence while working collaboratively in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to cooperatively problem-solve in a dynamic environment prone to fast-paced change
• Ability to effectively analyze financial information and present to executive management for successful management decision making
• Capacity to work independently while meeting multiple, competing deadlines with quality deliverables
• Proven strategic thinker with effective execution skills and the ability to effectively organize and prioritize work
• Strong Microsoft Excel and data management skills
• Domestic travel estimated at 15% - 25% may be required