Position provides technical nursing support to medically fragile, disabled and other assigned students under the supervision of the school nurse. Assists the school nurse in providing health care to all students and staff to include: health screening, assessing health needs, providing first aid/emergency care and health counseling. This position is assigned by the Supervisor of Health Services based on school division placement of special education classes and medically fragile students. Additional sites or reassignment during the school year is possible.
- Performs specific procedures and treatments with physician orders under the supervision of the registered school nurse to include but not limited to catheterization, suctioning, tracheotomy care and tube feedings.
- Assists the school nurse, school and parents in maintaining medically fragile students to school.
- Administers first aid and medications.
- Observes students for illness or injury, consults with the registered nurse as needed, and advises on dismissal.
- Adheres to laws, rules, and regulations governing LPN practice.
- Maintains accurate documentation, records, and confidentiality of information.
- Assists in the maintenance and updating of health records.
- Reports information and concerns to supervising registered school nurse.
- Conferences with supervising registered nurse regarding individual student health care plans.
- Implements student health care plans on all students receiving direct care and others as directed.
- Utilizes the nursing components of the ESIS computer system.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must be a licensed practical nurse (LPN) licensed to practice in the State of Virginia and certified by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
- Displays thorough knowledge of nursing procedures as defined by score of practice. Experience in acute care setting, pediatrics and school health with well developed assessment skills desirable.
- Must possess current CPR certification.
- Valid Virginia Drivers’ License required.
For a complete job description visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Treatment Nurse
- Ensure compliance with requirements of third party payer
- Assume principle responsibility for total care of assigned patients in the assigned area
- Draw blood for lab work for consumers
- Initiate health care training and education to the patient/family as required while supporting and fostering the goals of the Hospital and the Department of Nursing
- Implement the patient's plan of care
- Determine requests from health care providers for: Extention of outpatient benefits and Professional Association of Treatment Homes(PATH)placement
- Initiate admission assessment screening tool
- Demonstrate competence in performing basic drug calculations./li
- Conduct thorough safety search of the patient
- Provide medical screening to determine need for immediate medical services
- Adhere to policy and procedure regarding all aspects of medication safety
- Provide linkage to appropriate community resources, referral to appropriate care services, and communicate with providers in order to reduce health disparities and improve health care outcomes
- Evaluate patient care through collaborative efforts with health team members in accordance with the nursing process and the standards of care and practices
- Manage and complete assigned work plan objectives and projects in a timely manner
- Identify the physical, psycho social and environmental needs as evidenced by documentation, clinical record, case conference, team report and evaluations
- Coordinating and monitoring the activities of the individual treatment team
- Providing outpatient nursing services and treatments to a wide variety of consumers
- Perform patient rounds at least every 2 hours
- Use knowledge and practices in accordance with 1) the Nurse Practice Act; 2) Standards of Nursing Practice; 3) Standards of Patient Care)
- Coordinate the health care needs of individuals in the CORE program
Licensed Practical Nurse
Registered Nurse Certified