Under general supervision, responsible for performing field technical work and servicing customer problems; trouble shooting, repair and maintenance of the cable television system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Respond to service calls; troubleshoot and make necessary repairs to improve customer picture quality and resolve related problems.
- Monitor and repair signal leakage.
- Maintain tools and converter inventory.
- Maintain records including daily logs, gas sheets, etc. as required.
- Accurately complete work orders in a timely manner, maintain, secure and stock assigned vehicle and equipment.
- Troubleshoot and repair or replace any defective components from the tap to the connection of the customer's equipment.
- Replace defective or damages tap plates.
- Makes necessary repairs and/or adjustments to comply with company and FCC standards.
Smaller Cable systems may include the following duties:
- Perform underground and aerial construction duties associated with CATV operations including installation of rigid and semi coaxial cable, and pole line construction within overhead plant.
- Restore system service outages as service calls require.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Integrity- Able to be tactful, maintain confidence, and foster an ethical work environment; prevents inappropriate behaviors by coworkers; gives proper credit to others; handles all situations.
- Initiative- Able to bring about great results from ordinary circumstances; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance; transforms leads or ideas into productive business outcomes; undertakes additional responsibilities and responds to situations as they arise without supervision.
- Planning, Prioritizing, and Goal Setting- Able to prepare for emerging customers needs; manages multiple projects; determines project urgency; uses goals to guide actions and creates detailed action plans; organizes and schedules people and tasks to achieve maximum efficiency.
- Communication- Clearly conveys information through a variety of media (verbal, written, email, v-mail, etc.) in a way that engages the audience and helps them understand and remember the message; listens well.
- Self-Development and Continuous Learning- Stays informed of current industry trends; actively identifies opportunities for learning; learns and applies new concepts to improve job performance; shares information with others on the job; takes responsibility for career development.
- Customer Focus- Able to demonstrate a high level of service delivery; does what is necessary to ensure customer satisfaction; addresses and resolves service failures; prioritizes customer needs; makes customers and their needs a primary focus of actions.
- Attention to Detail- Able to be alert in hight intensity/high risk environments; follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; carefully monitors gauges, instruments, or processes; concentrates on routine work detail and organizes and maintains a system of records.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- One year certificate from college or technical school; or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver's license, satisfactory driving record within Company required standards.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices.
- Ability to adhere to Local, Federal regulations and Company policies.
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75 pounds).
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed.
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires.
- Ability to drive Company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting.
- Ability to operate appropriate computer or test equipment associated with position.
- Ability to perform job from high places (i.e., poles and roofs).
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively.
- Ability to use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers in the installation of cable to the residence and TV set converters.
- Ability to work with small components and wires to make cable connections.
- Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
- 3 years experience as an Installer Technician.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit.The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Practical And Pragmatic