ABOUT THE JOB:
Under direction of the Manager- Court Operations, this position supervises and coordinates the activities and operations of the Evidence department; and supervises the reception, storage, security, accounting, and disposal of all evidence; audits evidence to ensure compliance with agency standards and state and federal laws; and performs related duties as assigned. Employees in this classification are responsible for supervising and overseeing activities of assigned Court Specialists in the assigned work unit, and provide training, direction and guidance in practical processes and procedures of the work. This position exercises considerable initiative and independent judgment.
The Clerk's office has demanding timelines and we are seeking a professional who has a strong sense of urgency, attention to detail and commitment to public service, is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, is passionate about providing outstanding customer service and desires a challenging and rewarding career.
For those candidates who qualify, the Clerk & Comptroller's office offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability plans plus participation in the FRS retirement plan.
ROLE OF POSITION:
The successful candidate will be assigned to the Evidence department and perform the essential functions as outlined above, as well as perform the following functions:
- Supervise and coordinates the activities of the Clerk's Office Evidence department
- Maintains accurate chain of custody records; testifies in court as to the proper chain of custody
- Provides analytic and research support for the department
- Assists in packaging of evidence; and ensures items are properly packaged, labeled and stored and also ensures that items correspond to accompanying paperwork (i.e., verify quantity and weight of drugs and other items and/or evidence, etc.), and are entered accurately into the electronic tracking system
- Performs disposal of evidence in accordance with applicable laws, rules and best practices by destroying, returning items to owner or law enforcement, or submitting for auction
- Verifies property through NCIC/FCIC to check if reported stolen, before disposal
- Answers routine inquiries from attorneys, victims and other interested parties
- Prepares and/or updates processes and procedures, as well as various general operating procedures, records, files, lists, and other unit documentation
- Prioritizes, coordinates, assigns, and monitors staff clerical support duties; provides formal and practical training and guidance to staff in unit processes and procedures
- Monitors work flow, accuracy, timeliness and productivity of staff under charge; monitors performance for adherence to established goals and objectives; provides recommendations to management concerning new or enhanced procedures, as appropriate
- Develops, implements, and facilitates effective cross-training mechanisms, as applicable to the needs of the work unit
- Tracks time and attendance, vacation, tardiness, sick time, and leaves of absence; monitors such for unit scheduling and evaluation purposes
- Prepares monthly reports, agendas and conducts/facilitates staff meetings; distributes administrative orders, memoranda, amendments and policy and procedural updates accordingly
- Adheres to systems of audit controls and systems for reviewing tasks, procedures, unit efficiency and effectiveness, and staff training and development
- Conducts periodic inventories of stored items (exhibits) as mandated; and maintains accurate inventory/files and ensures security of all exhibits located and stored within the evidence storage vaults and/or areas
- Assists and oversees the public and law enforcement personnel in handling and viewing of evidence
- Maintains strict confidentiality with regards to information obtained
- Works collaboratively with court agency partners, law enforcement agencies and county partners as required
- On-call responsibilities required after 5:00pm on weekdays and on weekends
- Must be able to work overtime with little or no notice based on judicial or organizational needs.
- Must be able to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects including evidence weighing 10-20 pounds.
- Must wear personal protective equipment (e.g., gloves, masks, etc.), as needed throughout the work day.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate will have supervisor experience as well as experience handling, processing, and disposal of evidence along with the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Management or related field; Master's Degree preferred
- Five years (4) of recent and relevant supervisor experience in a professional environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective leadership and supervisory principles and practices; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Certification through Property and Evidence Association (PEAF) preferred. If not certified, you must obtain certification through Property and Evidence Association (PEAF) within 18 months of hire date.
- Knowledge of proper handling, transmittal and disposal of evidence, state statutes, civil and criminal justice systems
- Knowledge of evidence and other types of property disposition and disposal, including familiarity with firearms and other weapons
- Knowledge of principles and practices of warehousing
- Able to understand and apply pertinent laws, rules, regulations and best practices to items accepted and submitted as evidence
- Strong oral and written communication skills; effective communication with those contacted in the course of work
- Familiarity with computer systems and software commonly used in job functions
- Able to react and adjust quickly to changing environment
The Clerk & Comptroller’s office is a drug-free workplace. Prior to hire, all selected applicants must successfully pass a drug screening and background check.
The Clerk & Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Veterans’ Preference will be given to eligible veterans or eligible spouses of veterans.
To see if you have what it takes to join our team, start by checking our career opportunities at: http://www.mypalmbeachclerk.com/