Our client, a stable non-profit in Silver Spring, MD is looking for an Accounting Manager to join their team. The Accounting Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements, addressing tight deadlines, and a multitude of other accounting activities including accounts payable, payroll, accounts receivable, and general journal entry, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and preparing budgets and financial forecasts. Also, responsible for supervising two staff accountants and for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
● Obtaining and maintaining a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
● Ensuring accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end closings.
● Assisting with daily banking requirements.
● Ensuring the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions.
● Performing monthly reconciliation activities for all bank accounts, credit cards, and all other credit liabilities, including end of the month vendor statements.
● Assuring that restricted funds are fully accounted for and never commingled with general operating funds.
● Assuring that fund balances for our various stakeholders are timely and accurately maintained and reported.
● Preparing budgets and performing forecasting activities as required.
● Monitoring actual performance against applicable budgets and documenting areas that need attention.
● Monitoring and analyzing department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
● Advising staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
● Responding to inquiries from managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests, etc. on a timely basis.
● Ensuring a timely year-end audit and assisting auditors with questions and additional information requests.
● Assisting in developing and implementing new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
● Creating and maintaining departmental Standard Operating Policies and Procedures.
● Making sure Accounting department is adhering to gGAAP to the highest degree possible and making sure required internal control checks and balances are in place.
● Maintaining vendor, customer, and payroll files.
● Supervising accuracy of work handled by departmental staff.
● Visiting operating sites on a regular basis to become familiar with staff and work flow.
● Performing other duties as needed to assist in accomplishing the requirements of the Accounting