This position is at a non-profit organization located in Central Suffolk County that performs significantly complex, professional, strategic and analytical duties within the Human Resources Department reporting to the Chief of Staff. The Senior HR Manager is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategies and analyzing HR processes. The Senior HR Manager works with a wide latitude of independence in conducting the daily operations of the Human Resources’ office. Supervision is exercised over the Human Resources department. Work involves reviewing, analyzing and decision making on a vast amount of varied employment related issues. Recommendations are sought on changes to staffing, payroll and wages, fringe benefits, and personnel policies. Assist in negotiating the collective bargaining agreement and labor relations issues on a day-to-day basis.
· Responsible for review of all processes and documents within the HR department to ensure compliance with all Federal, State, and local employment and labor laws.
· Supervise the day-to-day operations of the Human Resources Department including the HR recruiters and Benefits Manager.
- Create and implement the staffing strategies for all programs.
- Analyze and make suggestions on the recruiting process and procedures including job descriptions, sourcing, interviewing, hiring and onboarding.
- Work closely and supervise the recruiters to ensure hiring goals are met.
· Manages the internal process of the life cycle of new hires and personnel transactions such as promotion, transfer, reinstatement, resignation.
· In conjunction with the Chief of Staff, create succession planning for HR personnel.
· Supervise the process of internal employee changes such as promotions, transfers, reinstatements, resignations, removal, and the maintenance of associated records.
· Provide guidance to supervisors and employees on problems and complaints, investigate the facts, and recommend action.
· Conduct grievance hearings and render decisions. Attend and testify at arbitration if the situation warrants.
· Assist in negotiating the collective bargaining agreement.
· Review group health insurance options annually; meet with insurance broker and insurance company representatives regarding renewal costs; make recommendations to higher-level executives. Prepare notification to staff and supervise the open enrollment process.
· Approve job descriptions and organization charts.
· In conjunction with Counsel, conduct employee relation investigations and gather documents, evidence and coordinate information.
· Attend and testify at evidentiary hearings when necessary.
· Oversee the worker’s compensation, disability, FMLA, and leave of absence programs are carried out in accordance with federal, state and city statutes.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Extensive knowledge of Federal and State labor laws.
· Knowledge of the standard principles, practices, and methods of personnel administration.
· Knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, and techniques used in recruiting, screening, interviewing, and the placement of staff.
· Ability to analyze facts and to exercise sound judgment in arriving at conclusions.
· Ability to manage and train HR team in a manner conducive to full performance and high morale.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of employees and administrators.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s Degree preferred in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources Administration or a related field.
· A minimum of 7 years’ experience in administering a Human Resource program, of which two years should have been in a supervisory capacity.
· Preference to candidates who hold professional HR certifications
· A Bachelor’s Degree is required; preferably with a concentration in Human Resources.
· A minimum of 5 years of proven Human Resources work experience.
· Desired skill sets typically include organizational skills, human resource functional knowledge and statistical skills, workforce planning and recruiting skills.
· Excellent ability to communicate in English both verbal and written.
· Full scope knowledge of HR and Employment Benefits procedures.
· Computer literacy and working knowledge of MS. Office Software Package.
· Proven understanding of City, State, and Federal Law is essential to ensure legal compliance and efficiently administer job interviews and communicate employment processes.
Family And Medical Leave Act Of 1993